510/520 table connector tube length

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 510/520 table connector tube length

Post by JPG »

Realize rigid is essentially iron pipe(galvanized).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:Realize rigid is essentially iron pipe(galvanized).
And the rigid conduit I have seen has a very rough exterior.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

So 3/4 Rigid is the way to go. Would steel or aluminum be the preferred choice? I lean toward aluminum because of the weight factor assuming similar cost. Steel would probably be less apt to bending over the long haul. Aluminum would also probably mar from tightening the knobs but that's an easy fix.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Only EMT will fit into an ORIGINAL 510 tube(id smaller than the CURRENT 510).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The "way to go" is getting the correct shopsmith tubes. If you can not afford them now then go another way until you can. Woodworking is not a cheap hobby and making do is one of those things that people chose to do but in the long run going the right way pays off. If those tubes are even slightly bent alignment issues are bound to follow. Sorry I just don't see this as a good place to save a few $$.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I got tired of the flimsy Shopsmith tubes and found these instead.

https://www.metalsdepot.com/products/co ... 20&aident=

They are solid steel precisely ground to a .001" tolerance.
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG (145.41 KiB) Viewed 11003 times
The picture shows how they compare to the standard 5' connector tubes. I had them cut to 65 inches and the cost was $136 for both. They do weigh about 15 lbs each but make a world of difference in not only alignment but the increased stability of the tables.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

sehast wrote:I got tired of the flimsy Shopsmith tubes and found these instead.

IMG_0711.JPG

The picture shows how they compare to the standard 5' connector tubes. I had them cut to 65 inches and the cost was $136 for both. They do weigh about 15 lbs each but make a world of difference in not only alignment but the increased stability of the tables.
I may be wrong but that seems like overkill to me! ;)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Ed in Tampa wrote:

IMG_0711.JPG

Yes it probably is but their 1" dia DOM tuning with a .120 wall (think 10ER thick wall bench tubes) is only $85 for two 6' lengths. About $30 more than the SS 5' tubes.

They will be ordered this week. Thanks sehast for the link. That is a keeper! :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:

IMG_0711.JPG

Yes it probably is but their 1" dia DOM tuning with a .120 wall (think 10ER thick wall bench tubes) is only $85 for two 6' lengths. About $30 more than the SS 5' tubes.

They will be ordered this week. Thanks sehast for the link. That is a keeper! :)
Hmmmmmmm! They are just up the road from me! :) :) :) :) :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

After googling the address, I realize I been there before!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝