Aligning Extension Tables

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Aligning Extension Tables

Post by DLB »

flackbait wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:11 am I cannot get the tube guides on the main and extension table to align. They are way out of "adjustment" that the adjustment of the posts on the aux table allow for. This is on a 500 upgraded to a 520. I have tried rotating the aux table 180 and still no alignment.
This is one where a picture might be worth a thousand or more words. Basic background: Do you have the gauge that lets you set the tube guide extrusions so that they are parallel and the correct offset relative to the table top? If yes, are they correctly set on both main and extension tables? Is the main table correctly aligned to the saw blade or similar? Especially, are the miter tracks parallel to the cut and is the table tilt correctly zeroed? Are the connector tubes straight? Assuming all of that is good, and with the main table placed near the extension and the carriage locked, what does the error look like? This is where a picture might help.

There are two or more common ways to align the extension table adjusting the nuts on the four threaded studs. The method that isn't in the manual relies on accurate rail placement using the gauge. You then simply loosen all of the nuts on the studs and mount the extension table to the main using connector tubes. It's correctly oriented at that point, so you just snug the nuts up without moving or putting any binding pressure on the extension table. And you're done. I find this much easier than the method in the manual. Though it presumably won't work on your machine...

Do you have an angle cube, Wixey, or similar digital relative angle measuring device? These are pretty useful for quick checks. There are also smart phone apps, performance varies.

- David
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: Aligning Extension Tables

Post by HopefulSSer »

There's a dedicated thread on this here:
viewtopic.php?t=35082
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466