Difficult to raise/lower 520 worktable

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shaun
Gold Member

Difficult to raise/lower 520 worktable

Post by shaun »

Hi, thanks for reading.

I've just acquired a 9 year old 520 with Precision Pro System. It hasn't been used for a while; nevertheless it is in impeccable condition. However, the worktable is very difficult to move; worse, it makes a horrible metal-on-metal sound when cranked in either direction.

I didn't find anything in the documentation about this condition, so I've turned the table upside-down on padded sawhorses, grabbed WD40, shop towels, and a rubber mallet and.... decided to ask for advice before disassembling the table.

What might be wrong, sticking lock? Even if a squirt of oil would free it up, my OCD nature would demand that I take it apart, clean and inspect/repair, and reassemble. That being said, I prefer following Best Practices.

Please advise!

Thanks,
-Shaun-
Mk V w/Bandsaw - rough, missing lots of pieces but works
Mk V 520 PowerPro System w/Bandsaw; Scrollsaw; Router/Shaper; Universal Lathe Tool rest
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Did you release the 'lock' prior to turning the crank?

Or are you referring to 'tilting' the table?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Could be a remote chance that the table was cocked enough when someone forced it in to the carriage, to have the two tubes mis-registered by one rack-tooth relative to each other?
Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

While ignoring the awful noises, I would take the table completely off the carriage and while off clean and wax the table uprights. Before putting the table back of the carriage, clean the holes into which the uprights go.

While you have the table off, measure the distance between the uprights to make certain they are parallel.

My guess is that your problem is a mixture of dried up wax and crud on the legs and in the holes.

I have one machine that squeals at me now and then when I raise and lower the table. Needs the same treatment.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
getnby41
Gold Member

Post by getnby41 »

My 510 had this problem also. I had to remove the carriage gears and clean them. They had packed wood in the splines.

James Phillips

Mark V 510 / Bandsaw
shaun
Gold Member

Post by shaun »

Thanks for the great suggestions!

When I checked out the machine and found the table stiff, I naturally expected 'crud' in the holes and the pinion. When I found it extremely difficult to crank the table up out of the rack, I got worried -- but it was a *great* machine! So I took the worktable off, carriage and all.

After reading your suggestions (boy, was it ever difficult to wait for the feedback!), I squirted some WD40 on the tubes -- the table was already up-side-down waiting your comments -- and (to my astonishment) the carriage cranked right off the table.

I examined everything and... well, I'm puzzled. Both racks were pretty clean (I'm a "bit" OCD -- spell that a *B*I*T*) so the racks were _very_ clean. The pinion on the crank side was almost as clean. The pinion on the far side was pretty cruddy, but cruddy with loose sawdust.

I did find a "serious" burr on the hole on the 'away' side, but saw no gouges on the tube to suggest the burr was interfering with travel.

Sadly, I did not take measurements before disassembling the table. I did measure after the fact and saw that the 'away' tube was about 1/32" longer than the 'near' tube, and that the 'away' rack was a out 1/64" closer to the table's tube than the 'near' rack. That is pretty much meaningless for a couple of reasons: a) the amounts/dimensions are so small; and b) I have no way of measuring from the table surface to the beginning of the rack. IOW, there is no plane of reference.

So, I conclude that there was no good reason for the table elevation mechanism to bind, and whatever gremlins were interfering fled when I doused them with the magic elixir WD40.

Sadly, I am having trouble acquiring any Johnsons Paste Wax -- in the Atlanta area, it seems that all housewives use "Mop n Glo". <sob> I've heard rumors that Lowe's carries it, so I'll take a drive and see if I can get my sweaty palms on some. Until then, this puppy will remain in pieces, and the story will have no ending, happy or otherwise.

Thanks!
-Shaun-
Mk V 520 PowerPro System w/Bandsaw; Scrollsaw; Router/Shaper; Universal Lathe Tool rest
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Johnson's Paste Wax is available in some Ace Hardware stores --- in the household section (not hardware).

I have consumed one can and am now working on #2 with the third can setting on the shelf in the shop. I believe I have a life time supply on hand.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
shaun
Gold Member

Post by shaun »

dusty wrote:Johnson's Paste Wax is available in some Ace Hardware stores --- in the household section (not hardware).
Thanks dusty, I'll try there first.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Johnson's Paste Wax must be marked as the "Original Formula" & Smells like kerosene when you open it.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mine smells like mineral spirits!;)

Home Depot - again in the house cleaning depot.

ORIGINAL FORMULA yes it is that important!!!! You want the 'slick'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange