Ooops, I did it Again!

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tgamel
Gold Member

Ooops, I did it Again!

Post by tgamel »

I just happened to searching Craigslist the other day when I came across this beauty. The asking price was $265.00 So I figured what the heck I would go check it out. It fired up and ran well, the speed controller was smooth so, as you can see it made it's way on my trailer. The auxiliary table, saw blade and fence are in the car.

[ATTACH]21021[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21022[/ATTACH]

If I read it correctly, the serial number indicates it is a 1962, the same year I was born.

[ATTACH]21023[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21024[/ATTACH]

I was not sure what the residue was around the medallion. At first I thought maybe someone had broken the medallion that covered the access panel and then epoxed it back on. But I broke out my screw driver and popped it off and there was nothing wrong. The inside looked clean, but I am not sure what all the crap is around the access hole. The second picture without the medallion shows that some of this residue has been cleaned off with simple green and a green scratch pad, but it is also removing some of the finish. If anyone has any ideas of how to remove this any tips would be appreciated.

[ATTACH]21020[/ATTACH]

Lubricated and then chewed a bit of wood, and then cleaned and polished as you can see, I have not cleaned the floor yet. As my granddaughter says "it looks purdy." Or at least so I think. The downside is it did not come with any accessories, but as I have a complete 500, I could not turn this one down. Not sure if I will go the shorty route or try and do a complete restore. If I restore I will definitively need some additional things such as drill press chuck, sanding disk, and all the lathe parts. But for now I will just have to wait an see, after all one man cannot run two lathes at the same time....well maybe he could.

Todd
Attachments
Goldie Cleaned.jpg
Goldie Cleaned.jpg (139.28 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
Goldie-1.jpg
Goldie-1.jpg (161.98 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Serial Number.jpg
Serial Number.jpg (123.1 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
Ugly Side Medallion.jpg
Ugly Side Medallion.jpg (110.42 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Ugly Side Medallion Off.jpg
Ugly Side Medallion Off.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

It is a beauty indeed, all shined up. Just a hunch, but the crud around the medallion looks as if it might be soluble in mineral spirits. I have not found mineral spirits to damage any SS finishes, and it works like a charm on organic gunk. Also/including PSA on sanding discs. But as they say on the labels, test first in an inconspicuous spot.
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:It is a beauty indeed, all shined up. Just a hunch, but the crud around the medallion looks as if it might be soluble in mineral spirits. I have not found mineral spirits to damage any SS finishes, and it works like a charm on organic gunk. Also/including PSA on sanding discs. But as they say on the labels, test first in an inconspicuous spot.
I thought about mineral spirits, but was not sure if it would damage the finish or not. I have a bottle, but could not decide as I have never used it on any applied finish before. Thanks

Todd
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

tgamel wrote:Oops, I did it again!

Todd
Evidently you are in the habit of doing things in the belief that it is better to ask forgiveness than permission. I would have done the same thing if I had a place to put it.
danscot
Gold Member

Post by danscot »

Todd, I've found cigarette lighter fluid to be a fairly safe bet for most gunk removal; but I agree with Dennis about testing first :eek:

I missed this thread the first time around but went looking for it when I saw the pix of your shop. I was surprised to see the 2 machines - it doesn't seem that long since you were looking for your first.

You obviously now have "the sickness" and you'll be able to fit a lot of Shopsmiths into that space :cool:
shaun
Gold Member

Post by shaun »

tgamel wrote: ...
I was not sure what the residue was around the medallion.
Todd
First, a disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about! Now that my credentials have been entered into evidence: I've read that old machines may have an unusual residue in the headstock from machining wood with some amount of sap in it (or perhaps just moisture, though I gathered that it was not a produce of air-dried wood that got wet, then was sawed before it was thoroughly dry).

It is supposedly generated by the heat of machining, which vaporized the sap; the sap condenses on cooler metal and since the inside of the headstock is seldom seen, much less cleaned, the resinous deposit can build up. And FWIW, the images presented in the article I read showed an even greater build-up than you found.

Cheers!
-Shaun-
Mk V w/Bandsaw - rough, missing lots of pieces but works
Mk V 520 PowerPro System w/Bandsaw; Scrollsaw; Router/Shaper; Universal Lathe Tool rest
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

danscot wrote:Todd, I've found cigarette lighter fluid to be a fairly safe bet for most gunk removal]lot[/I] of Shopsmiths into that space :cool:
Will try the lighter fluid next, the mineral spirits did not see to even make a dent in the residue. The residue does not effect the performance, just a little of my OCD kicking in. Not really wanting to do a restore on the machine right now, because I like the patina and slight wear marks of the machine. Maybe one day that will change. Yea, never thought I would buy a second machine, but I love the functionality of my SS, and for the price I just could not pass it up. It is missing a few parts such as (upper and lower saw guards and live and dead centers for the lathe) but my 83 SS has everything I need. I am starting to assemble replacement parts, not because I need them, but cannot help myself. :rolleyes:
Todd (Canton, TX)

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tgamel wrote:Will try the lighter fluid next, the mineral spirits did not see to even make a dent in the residue. The residue does not effect the performance, just a little of my OCD kicking in. Not really wanting to do a restore on the machine right now, because I like the patina and slight wear marks of the machine. Maybe one day that will change. Yea, never thought I would buy a second machine, but I love the functionality of my SS, and for the price I just could not pass it up. It is missing a few parts such as (upper and lower saw guards and live and dead centers for the lathe) but my 83 SS has everything I need. I am starting to assemble replacement parts, not because I need them, but cannot help myself. :rolleyes:
The saw guards are not missing, it likely never had them. That was an add-on accessory back then.($21.95)

How about Goo Gone?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Based on odor, I think goo gone is lighter fluid (or very similar chemical makeup.)
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

JPG40504 wrote:The saw guards are not missing, it likely never had them. That was an add-on accessory back then.($21.95)

How about Goo Gone?
Thanks JPG, that makes sense. the lower saw guard for my 83 Mark V fits perfectly, but there is no way to connect the upper saw guard. It appears there is a missing plastic piece on the Goldie that the guard slides into on the back side. I have not checked to see if that particular piece is removable from the 83 or not. I almost bought an upper and lower saw guard off ebay but was not sure how to connect the upper saw blade guard. I would rather buy one form a fellow SS guy and share the wealth so to speak, as I am sure a few guys have shorty's here that might not being using them, but I understand the no "buy or sell" policy of the forums. BTW, Goo Gone is another good idea, the wife has a bottle of that around here somewhere, will have to put that on my list of things to try.
Todd (Canton, TX)