The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Post by JPG »

Watch for PMs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Kidsmoke
Bronze Member

Post by Kidsmoke »

I'm watching...
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Sinjem wrote:Hi, new to the forum just bought a sawsmith that has virtually been un used. The coil cord up in the arm, going from the switch to motor has hardened over the years and lost it's elasticity. Anyone know where I could find one?

Regards Doug
I just found this Instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/Coiling ... ower-cord/
which lead to this video
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTmzg6WMnf0[/youtube]
It looks like it should be possible to make a new coiled power cord from straight one. :cool:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Sinjem
Bronze Member

Post by Sinjem »

If anyone is interested there is one for sale on CL in Southgate CA

Doug
Sinjem
Bronze Member

Post by Sinjem »

If anyone is interested there is one for sale on CL in Southgate CA

Doug
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Sawsmith Refurbishment

Post by stephen_a._draper »

I recently ordered a replacement power cord for my Sawsmith. I ordered the part numbers using the Sawsmith Spare Parts List. It shows up on the Shopsmith site as 503099 Wire-Main with plug and 503101 Strain Relief. Both parts have been replaced by 515652 Cord Power Station which comes with the strain relief already on the cord. I received it today and it is an exact replacement cord and strain relief for the Sawsmith. It even has the connections on the wires so you can just plug them into the Sawsmith On/off switch! Price is $22.41 plus shipping.
Sawsmith Power Cord
Sawsmith Power Cord
Sawsmith Power Cord.JPG (670.82 KiB) Viewed 18144 times

I am in the process of restoring a Sawsmith to new condition. I am just starting the re-assembly process and will provide pictures as I go. I am just waiting for the base cabinet parts to come back from the paint shop. They are sandblasting the six base cabinet pieces to bare metal and then powder coating everything in a color close to the original Magna American gray color.
Sawsmith Arm
Sawsmith Arm
Sawsmith Arm.JPG (630.27 KiB) Viewed 18144 times
Sawsmith Base & Column
Sawsmith Base & Column
Sawsmith Base & Column.JPG (584.76 KiB) Viewed 18144 times
Sawsmith Carriage Top
Sawsmith Carriage Top
Sawsmith Carriage Top.JPG (564.55 KiB) Viewed 18144 times
Sawsmith Carriage Front
Sawsmith Carriage Front
Sawsmith Carriage Front.JPG (503.24 KiB) Viewed 18144 times
Sawsmith Carriage Back
Sawsmith Carriage Back
Sawsmith Carriage Back.JPG (505.66 KiB) Viewed 18144 times
Sawsmith Carriage Left Side
Sawsmith Carriage Left Side
Sawsmith Carriage Left Side.JPG (559.98 KiB) Viewed 18144 times
Sawsmith Carriage Right Side
Sawsmith Carriage Right Side
Sawsmith Carriage Right Side.JPG (514.27 KiB) Viewed 18144 times
I had a locksmith shop make me keys for the lock on top of the radial arm and the lock on the cabinet.
Sawsmith Switch & Lock in Locked Position
Sawsmith Switch & Lock in Locked Position
Sawsmith switch & lock.JPG (670.83 KiB) Viewed 18144 times
I am replacing all hardware with stainless steel hardware if available.

Some of the parts are soaking in potatoe water for two weeks to remove rust.

Also finding 2" replacement casters that have a swivel radius of only 1.25" is proving to be impossible.
Last edited by stephen_a._draper on Fri May 20, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Sawsmith Refurbishment

Post by stephen_a._draper »

I cleaned and oiled the motor shaft and sheaves as well as replacing the belt. It purrs just great and moves through all the speeds smoothly. The original belt was still on it and it was a Yuba belt. I used a Shopsmith belt which was a much better design with many more ribs on it than the original Yuba Belt. I still have one more genuine Shopsmith belt left in case this new one ever needs replacement. I found my belts from other Sawsmith owners. They cannot be found any other way.
Attachments
Genuine Sawsmith OEM Replacement belt
Genuine Sawsmith OEM Replacement belt
Sawsmith Belt.jpg (65.87 KiB) Viewed 18078 times
Last edited by stephen_a._draper on Fri May 20, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Looking really really good!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Sweet!

The castings look nice and beefy. In the early 60's, after Black and Decker acquired Dewalt, they quickly started changing the saw designs to reduce manufacturing costs, and sacrificed rigidity and repeatability in the process. Which ultimately led to a huge decline in RAS popularity. I'm curious as to how the Sawsmith's rigidity compares to the Dewalt's of the period.

BTW, you probably already know this, but for the sake of anyone else who might read this thread, DO NOT use a standard table saw blade on a RAS. That can be very dangerous.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Sweet!

The castings look nice and beefy. In the early 60's, after Black and Decker acquired Dewalt, they quickly started changing the saw designs to reduce manufacturing costs, and sacrificed rigidity and repeatability in the process. Which ultimately led to a huge decline in RAS popularity. I'm curious as to how the Sawsmith's rigidity compares to the Dewalt's of the period.

BTW, you probably already know this, but for the sake of anyone else who might read this thread, DO NOT use a standard table saw blade on a RAS. That can be very dangerous.
NO, I did not know that and though I have now been properly warned - please explain what makes this hazardous? How does a RAS blade differ from a regular saw blade?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.