phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

674 posts • Jump to page: 1 64 65 66 67 68

A beautiful boat. I find only our imagination is the only limiting factor for the many uses of the Shopsmith Mark V. I spent about as much time building jigs and frames to contain and hold the work as the work itself needs. For anything requiring any power type of rotation, the Mark V headstock can normally be adapted to supply this power. I have done a lot of aluminum milling, drilling and shaping so believe fiberglass should be equally easy to do. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

It's been a while since I posted. I mentioned in the blog a few months ago that I'm dealing with a personal crisis. Well...the personal crisis was that I had a new supervisor at work who'd been abusive since he first got the job. Over the last year it got so bad that I filed a civil rights complaint against him. He retaliated by firing me, effective February 2020. I explain the whole sordid tale from a page linked from my Roamer blog article that I posted today.

Speaking of the Roamer, I had a backlog of things to write up before all of this latest drama started, and I'll be catching up on those now, time permitting. Needless to say, my priority is paying the bills and once again becoming gainfully employed.

The article I posted today covers the final assembly and varnishing of the folding salon hatch. It turned out really nicely, if I do say so myself.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Final Fitting, Finishing, and Assembling the Salon Entry Folding Hatch

Cheers,
Q

Next I got to work on the starboard side mahogany paneling for the aft deck. It's looking good!

Oh! And I finally have some good news! The new marina lessees defaulted over the winter. It turns out that scaring off all of the long-standing DIY and liveaboard customers made it difficult to pay rent. So that demand that the tent be gone and the boat be ready to depart on April 1 has vanished. The new marina owner has hired a manager, who's restoring the marina to its previous DIY-friendly status.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Deck Mahogany Plywood Install II

Cheers,
Q

Pretty much every day I'm on the boat now, something ugly, like aluminum framing or spray foam insulation, is getting covered with pretty mahogany plywood or solid stock. I wrapped up the starboard side plywood in this post and am starting to work with 1/4" thick mahogany boards that were leftovers from the toe rail when I resawed the 8/4 boards. I'm very glad I kept those pieces.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Deck Mahogany

Cheers,
Q