Euroguard?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

polycarp
Gold Member

Euroguard?

Post by polycarp »

I'm trying to get a shaper set up complete for a SS v.500 I recently acquired. I plan to build some bathroom and kitchen cabinets and need the shaper for making the doors. I have the shaper fence, cutters, rub collars and arbor etc. but I don't have all the safety equipment. There is a feather board that attaches to to the quill and also a clear guard with brush bristles on the back for improved dust collection that attaches to the quill. It doesn't appear that Shopsmith sells the quill attached feather board individually but they do sell the clear half round guard and something else called the Euroguard. The Euroguard looks to be the most flexible but I don't know what is really best for shaper usage as I have zero experience with that tool. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks!
Mike
SS 500 upgraded to 520, SS 500 soon to be a shorty, Jig Saw, CI Band saw, 4 " Jointer, Dewalt 12" sliding compound Mitre Saw, etc.
polycarp
Gold Member

Euroguard

Post by polycarp »

Oh I forgot to post a link to the Euroguard in case this is a new item:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... oguard.htm
Mike
SS 500 upgraded to 520, SS 500 soon to be a shorty, Jig Saw, CI Band saw, 4 " Jointer, Dewalt 12" sliding compound Mitre Saw, etc.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

polycarp wrote:Oh I forgot to post a link to the Euroguard in case this is a new item:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/euroguard.htm
Good Boy for the second post.:)

I only have a small amount of experience with the quill mounted guard(the one with the mustache), but think the euroguard will likely work as well since it is adjustable vertically(as is the hair lipped one).

Hands down bit changes would be easier.

I can see using it for many other operations than with the shaper.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

Thanks JPG! I wonder how much the mustache actually helps with dust collection anyway. Seems it would have been included on the Euroguard if it was that useful?
Mike
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

polycarp wrote:Thanks JPG! I wonder how much the mustache actually helps with dust collection anyway. Seems it would have been included on the Euroguard if it was that useful?
I have mixed emotions regarding the bristles. One cannot see through them. They tend to take a set and that decreases their effectiveness and makes one have to worry about them when storing.(I store mine upside down in a #10 can) The bristles likely do not reduce air flow as much as a solid base, but I have to think increased velocity through the narrow opening has to reduce scatter. There is likely a sweet(er) spot. Neither are going to work well if the workpiece is not wider than the guard. Keep in mind the top/rear are open.

If I had to do it over, I would get the euroguard in spite of its moniker. Tis an opinionated perception thing(YMMV).

It is fairly new so there are likely few that have experience with it. - Where are you???:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

Sounds like great analysis JPG. I appreciate your help and comments very much!

Agreed, Euroguard is an odd name. At least it wasn't Chinagurad ;) !

I'm in the Florida panhandle near Niceville which is near Eglin AFB.

Here is one more question for you if you don't mind. Looking to justify a speed increaser. Shaping is so much better at higher speed right:D ? So looking at that setup which employs an under table configuration, Shopsmith recommends to always use the speed increaser fence shield. Here is a link to that:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... rfence.htm

I can't seem to find that shield available on their site but clearly none of the other safety devices will work with an under table configuration. Or at least that's how it seems to me. Perhaps my search skills are too poor to find this necessary item! Shopsmith is correct in their recommendation on this aren't they?

Thanks again for the help!
Mike
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you want the shaper/router version that mounts to the quill with the mustache it is here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... shield.htm

$22.27

it has some attempt at dust containment..... and slides up for access.

The flip guard is priced at $29.99 and of course it "flips-up" no attempt at dust containment.

There might be another option if and when you ever get a powerpro and the dual tilt (under table shaping), the router table shopsmith sells has another guard/dust collection system. I don't see the piece listed but a call can most likely get you that information. This is the system:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... rtable.htm

This has a port to hook up a dust hose at the top and it does work, again better then the others but not perfect. You would have to deal with finding a way to mount it but there are ways.

I have the two older versions and they work best at keeping you away from the spinning cutters and they do provide dust containment.

Of course on the over the top operations the dust collection is from below, this is taken care of with this:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... tem=555168

I don't have the flip up version, yet anyway.

Ed
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

Thanks for the help Ed! I think you might have just answered a question I recently posed with respect to under table shaping. Looks like Shopsmith calls the speed increaser fence guard a "Router Table Guard" , or at least it looks similar. This is a bit confusing to this novice user but I'm sure with this awesome forum's help I will have this sorted out in no time!
Mike
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW, I have been assuming DC from below the table.

The top attaching shield the Ed referred to mounts to a post. That post is threaded so as to mount directly to the router table. By attaching a t-nut, it will mount in a t-track. IIRC it is possible to mount it with an adapter to a M5/V-500 table.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

The Euroguard will likely be the choice I'lll make. I believe I now understand all the various options and how they work. If I can find a good deal on a speed increaser I will try hard to resist but if I fail I know I can safely use it for under table shaping!

Thanks for everyone's help! :)
Mike