Want to make a shorty... How much to cut?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Want to make a shorty... How much to cut?

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I am reassembling my Mark V that has been sitting in pieces since I got my Power Pro Mark 7. To make it into a shorty, what length should the tubes be cut to? Also, is a saws all a good tool for that? I hate hacksaws!:)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I am reassembling my Mark V that has been sitting in pieces since I got my Power Pro Mark 7. To make it into a shorty, what length should the tubes be cut to? Also, is a saws all a good tool for that? I hate hacksaws!:)

I have to go out to the shop and measure before I answer this question but I will say this - don't make it too short.

Decide what you want to do with "your shorty". I wanted to retain the use of a carriage so that my machine would remain multifunctional. It is PRIMARILY a drill press and a sanding station but it also can be used as a power platform for my bandsaw.

I just measured the cutoffs. I cut off 16" and if I could do it over again a would cut only 14".

If I wasn't short of real estate, I would not cut them at all but like many of us I am working within a limited space.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

For the most part it will be a home for the belt sander I bought several years ago on eBay and have yet to try! I also plan on setting my bandsaw on it. Probably should retain the table capability just in case.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

For the most part it will be a home for the belt sander I bought several years ago on eBay and have yet to try! I also plan on setting my bandsaw on it.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

dusty wrote:I have to go out to the shop and measure before I answer this question but I will say this - don't make it too short.

Decide what you want to do with "your shorty". I wanted to retain the use of a carriage so that my machine would remain multifunctional. It is PRIMARILY a drill press and a sanding station but it also can be used as a power platform for my bandsaw.

I just measured the cutoffs. I cut off 16" and if I could do it over again a would cut only 14".

If I wasn't short of real estate, I would not cut them at all but like many of us I am working within a limited space.

Thanks Dusty!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:For the most part it will be a home for the belt sander I bought several years ago on eBay and have yet to try! I also plan on setting my bandsaw on it. Probably should retain the table capability just in case.
Can your belt sander be driven from either side?? I think it can. If so, that would make a good combination because all you have to do is slide the headstock back and forth to change functions.

Shopsmith thought this was a good idea too. Reference their new mini configuration.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I tried various lengths to cut off but settled on 18" as the ideal amount to cut and still have about 95% functionality. I assembled and sold a few dozen SHORTYs at this length (34" way tubes).
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Thanks Dusty!
Shopsmith see some value in a shortened assembly too. Check out this thread - looking for the Shop Deputy.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ower+stand

It is too short for my purpose but that is a customizable variable.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

dusty wrote:Can your belt sander be driven from either side?? I think it can. If so, that would make a good combination because all you have to do is slide the headstock back and forth to change functions.

Shopsmith thought this was a good idea too. Reference their new mini configuration.
Converting the motor to be reversible adds more capability too. The jig and scroll saw can be driven from either end with the regular headstock. I tried for a few years but never could sell Shopsmith on the idea of a reversible motor for the Mark V. They had too many motors in stock at the time. Of course, they applied it to the Power Pro.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I cut 14" off of mine. I briefly, after making the cut, had wished I had gone to 16", but as time has progressed I'm glad I didn't. Cutting off 14" worked great for me. I still have all the functionality.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration