New to Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mauryp48
Bronze Member

New to Shopsmith

Post by mauryp48 »

I just picked up an old greenie 500 at an estate sale (vintage 1955). are there any shopsmith service sources in Vancouver, WA.? Machine seems to run fine, got a jointer and a few other parts in the deal, but frankly don't know what I have or don't have. Motor is listed as a 3/4 HP and I doubt this machine was ever upgraded. I admit to being a neophyte in wood working. Was looking at this as a replacement for a beat up table saw I own.

thanks, Maury Parrish
Bruce
Platinum Member

Re: New to Shopsmith

Post by Bruce »

I don't know much about the Greenies, but there are lots of users on this forum that can help. I'm sure there will be plenty of posts to this thread before the week is out. Welcome to the Shopsmith community.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

There are a lot of SS owners in Washington. If you can give more info as to where you are, someone could stop by and take a look ... (of course I am in New Mexico, easy for me to say! :p )
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the party. I will start by telling you that there is NO shortage of information available here on the forum. I mean that literally. If you need advise, just ask. No matter the subject, we have experts. It will take you no time at all learning who they are so I will not provide a list.

Seriously, WELCOME.

Having limited experience with the power tools that you have acquired is all the more reason to ask questions. Make Sawdust Safely and you will remain a happy wood worker.

Some pictures of what you have would be a real good way to help us bring you up to speed.
Last edited by dusty on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ibskot
Gold Member

Post by ibskot »

Got pics? I love pics.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Start in the Maintenance and Repair section and study what's in the first two sticky posts.

Also look at a post for the PDF updated about buying a used Shopsmith http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

It has a good bit of introductory material, photos with links to posts and a lot about upgrades that may or may not have been done through the years that should help you identify what you have, and what if anything is missing.
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Welcome to our addiction, If you don't believe me see how long it takes till you own another Shopsmith.

Before you play with it at all go to this thread and at least read the first post pay attention to rule #1

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... t7092.html