Restoration Project

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Re: Restoration Project

Post by WileyCoyote »

Spooner, Both Russ and MickyD did an outstanding job with their restorations. Both are beautiful examples of what I wish my greenie looked like.
Since you have a little while to prepare, there are probably a couple of months of reading on this site alone. There are some great guys on here who are amazing resources and know more than anyone about our machines, how to repair and keep them running and the history of the different companies thru the years. It is surprising at the level of experience and advice you get from them and they are always eager to help. Welcome to the group. You may soon be addicted like the rest of us.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would simply suggest that you find some Rustoleum 'Verde Green'. Try Home Depot.

Hmmmm! It may have been discontinued. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:I would simply suggest that you find some Rustoleum 'Verde Green'. Try Home Depot.

It appears to still be available from Amazon. The cap color is wrong, but the color swatch is correct.

BTW, I believe the other color MickyD used was Rustoleum “hammered silver”
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

JPG wrote:I would simply suggest that you find some Rustoleum 'Verde Green'. Try Home Depot.

Menards carries the Verde Green in stock. If not in stock where you are, check the stores around your brother's.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dennis, JPG and Brenda are all talking about the paint I used on my "Greenie" restoration shown in my previous post. Both paints are hammered finish Rustoleum paint. The Verde Green is the closest I have found to the original color in a hammered finish. To get any closer to the original paint it would have to be custom mixed. The silver hammered finish paint is also very close to the original color although for both "Greenies" I have restored the silver was a little yellowed. That could be just from age. The green paints Shopsmith sells, although nice colors, are not very close to the original and are not a hammered finish. When I purchased the Verde Green paint I ordered it from Home Depot since they did not carry it in the store. You may have to search for it. You can check the Rustoleum website to see if they still list it.

After painting the headstock you will have lost the CAUTION label. The picture below makes a sheet of labels when printed on clear matte finish label material in standard 8-1/2" x 11" size. It should fill the whole sheet like any standard printed page. Note there is reference to page 2, 4 and 6 which depends on which manual version goes with your "Greenie". The CAUTION will be found on one of those three pages so use the correct label for your vintage. I originally made this several years ago to replace the CAUTION labels on the "Greenies" and "Goldie" I have restored. It is an extremely close replica of the original label.
Mark 5 Caution labels 2 4 6.jpg
Mark 5 Caution labels 2 4 6.jpg (376.04 KiB) Viewed 12216 times
Have fun on your project and keep us posted.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A PDF of that would be more useful.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

James,

I thought you liked the .jpg format. :D

I know a PDF would be better but this was made in an old Drawing program I had on a previous computer that were in .drw format. I was able to convert it to a .jpg file some time ago. I just tried printing it after using "Save Image As..." and saving it to my computer then printing the picture. It came out correctly.

Spooner,
I forgot to cover the changes needed to convert your Mark 5 to a Mark 7. Besides the Power Pro motor we talked about before, the table/fence system the Mark 7 uses is the same as the Mark V 520 except the table tubes have gear teeth on both sides for the Mark 7. The double sided table tubes come with the double tilt upgrade.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:A PDF of that would be more useful.
I loaded it in Inkscape and saved it out as a PDF. It prints out full page but there are artifacts on the background and the letters lost crispness. Maybe Everett can clean it up?
Attachments
Mark 5 Caution labels 2 4 6.pdf
(377.25 KiB) Downloaded 1399 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:A PDF of that would be more useful.
:)
Mark 5 Caution labels 2 4 6.pdf
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 1376 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

OK, I printed the .jpg file and then scanned it back in and that cleaned up the background. Ron's and this file are very close. You guys can decide which is the cleanest.
Attachments
SS Caution0001.pdf
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 1395 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT