Restoration Project

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Re: Restoration Project

Post by Spooner »

You guys are the greatest. I am going to like this forum... All of you seem genuinely passionate about Shopsmith and it's lore. As good as you guys are you will not be able to compete with misses spooner. She checked in on me over the weekend while I was trying to put together a materials list and cost estimate garnered from the pictures my brother sent me. Basically all that was salvageable was the legs. The way tubes, base tubes and casters are garbage. Then I'm upgrading the headstock to the new PowerPro. Paint, elbow grease and time and the wife goes hell with all you have invested why not just buy a new Mark 7 and get what you want. I'm buying that girl a bouquet of flowers. However... don't write off my dad's Mark 5 just yet. I still have plans. Just not plans in the near future. I saw somewhere... (I think it's on the SS website of a bench top set up used to power the accessories with an old headstock. I'll see if I can find the picture. So the paint and stickers are still greatly appreciated.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the forum BUT....wait a minute.

There is no such thing as garbage. The caster may be beyond help but I'd take a second look at the Way and Bench Tubes. What is wrong with them...I'm guessing rust and corrosion.

However, while the time is right I would take the little lady up on a new Mark 7. Just don't part with the old...you'll need it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

I"m with you Dusty... That old Mark 5 isn't out of the game yet. I checked the Serial number is from 1956...
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

I'm thinking I'm going to do something like this with my dad's Mark 5.
Attachments
Greenie Concept.jpg
Greenie Concept.jpg (84.67 KiB) Viewed 11521 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

One man's garbage is another's treasure.

I doubt all that stuff you referred to as garbage is NOT restorable.

Casters are replaceable.

That pix you pasted with legs(the ones you said are ok) becomes a shorty.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Alright Alright Alright. LOL... I take back the garbage comment!!! :) How bout this they are quality challenged. :D

Better?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Spooner wrote:Alright Alright Alright. LOL... I take back the garbage comment!!! :) How bout this they are quality challenged. :D

Better?
AND, they can be shipped just about anywhere. :)

By the way, where are you located. That info can be put in your profile and will show here if you so desire. No detail, just general location (like Arizona or New York).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Minnesota!!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Spooner wrote:Minnesota!!!
" That info can be put in your profile and will show here if you so desire"
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

I added it... did it not show up?