MK V Thickness Planer

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

MK V Thickness Planer

Post by jsburger »

The MK V thickness planer is back! Maybe things are not so dismal at SS as some think.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV376
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sehast
Gold Member

Re: MK V Thickness Planer

Post by sehast »

If they sell many of them at almost $1500 per they should get well fast. Other than the variable feed I can't see it has any better features than others on the market selling for less than $500. But I agree we need for them to find a way to stay in business.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

They need to offer it with the carbide spiral cutter head. It does one thing that as far as I know no other planer can do which is allowing adjustment of the feed rate independent of the cutter head speed. It’s a very nice feature when working certain woods but a $1000 more is a quite a jump.
Paul
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Good for them. I really like my planer. It is a great tool to have if you work with rough cut wood and need to work it into shape yourself.
Whenever possible, I buy rough cut wood and finish it myself. If I get the wood cheap enough, the planer pays for itself in time.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:Good for them. I really like my planer. It is a great tool to have if you work with rough cut wood and need to work it into shape yourself.
Whenever possible, I buy rough cut wood and finish it myself. If I get the wood cheap enough, the planer pays for itself in time.
Exactly the same here. I bought my Pro Planer new in the late 90's. I have not had one bit of trouble with it. It does an absolutely superb job.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

masonsailor2 wrote:They need to offer it with the carbide spiral cutter head. It does one thing that as far as I know no other planer can do which is allowing adjustment of the feed rate independent of the cutter head speed. It’s a very nice feature when working certain woods but a $1000 more is a quite a jump.
Paul
Paul, the Powermatic/jet/grizzly has 2 speeds for the feed transmission.
I just rebuilt one, for work.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.