Old Bandsaw cover Modification for Dust Collection

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shoedo
Gold Member

Old Bandsaw cover Modification for Dust Collection

Post by shoedo »

Has anyone on this forum modified an old Shopsmith bandsaw that didn't have a dust port to accommodate one? If so, would you please outline the steps and the materials used to obtain this capability. Shopsmith is offering some blemished bandsaw covers at a discount but they don't advertise the price and I've sent two inquiries to which they have not responded. One of those inquiries is almost one month old. Thanks
Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: Old Bandsaw cover Modification for Dust Collection

Post by Mike907 »

shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

Thanks Mike,

I saw that on the shopsmith website but didn't know if it was just used for the covers that had the ventilation holes as opposed to no openings. I suspect that I could use a hole saw to drill a hole in that approximate location and achieve the same result. Again, thanks for responding.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here is some information that might be of use to you:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 578#p96578

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

This is exactly the type of information I am looking for. I Knew I could cut a hole but cutting the hole in the right location was my concern. This information certainly helps! If anyone else cut a hole in their old bandsaw cover, I would love to hear from you. thanks again!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

shoedo wrote:This is exactly the type of information I am looking for. I Knew I could cut a hole but cutting the hole in the right location was my concern. This information certainly helps! If anyone else cut a hole in their old bandsaw cover, I would love to hear from you. thanks again!
The hole location is not critical as long it is close. Just cut a hole that is approximately close to the cover with the dust port and don't worry about it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Shawn
Silver Member

Post by Shawn »

I bought this kit and it came with a useful template. The hole I cut was not pretty (first time for me using a jigsaw) but it's functional and is covered up when the port gets attached.
Mark V 520 Table System with Jointer, Band saw, Planer, Strip Sander, Biscuit Joiner and DC3300 Dust Collector. DeWalt palm sander, Ryobi 12" sliding miter saw, and hopefully many more items to come.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A rough description of hole size and location would be beneficial. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:A rough description of hole size and location would be beneficial. ;)
Probably the same inside diameter of the flange and centered on the blade and probably up close to the top of the cover. That is where I would put it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT