Issue with Jointer Blade / Fence Alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Asbrand
Gold Member

Issue with Jointer Blade / Fence Alignment

Post by Asbrand »

So, I've had a couple issues with my jointer, one being blade alignment, which I just took care of.

However, there's another issue. The fence seems to be too far to the right of the blades, and when I make a cutting pass, there's about a 1/64th that doesn't get cut. Is there a way to move the fence to the left a wee bit? Not angling it, but actually sliding it to the left?

First pic shows the blades and the fence (fence is the reflection on the right). You can see a gap there. Second pic shows the results. On the left side you can see that ridge of uncut wood all the way down that side.

Pics to show what I mean:
20210115_175841.jpg
20210115_175841.jpg (147.6 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
20210115_175114.jpg
20210115_175114.jpg (192.69 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
-Az
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Issue with Jointer Blade / Fence Alignment

Post by JPG »

Some reason you are not simply moving the fence?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Just loosen the fence and move it to the left. Seriously, the fence handle is two position. Push the handle in and loosen and it adjusts the tilt. Pull the handle out and loosen and you can slide the fence left and right. I may have those actions backwards but, in any case the handle is two position. It is dual action for both tilt and horizontal adjustment.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Guessing maybe that you are new to the Shopsmith jointer and don't know how the fence adjustment works. The fence adjustment is a dual action type meaning that it has two functions. Including a quote from Dennis from a previous thread below because it succinctly captures the operation of the fence handle. One way it will adjust the angle of the fence, but the other way will loosen/tighten the fence for moving it laterally. Should be able to use the latter to adjust for the 1/64" gap you mentioned.
BuckeyeDennis wrote: The handle is basically a double-sided socket wrench. Push it inward, and it engages one locking nut. Pull it out, and it engages a different locking nut. One of them locks the tilt angle of the fence, and the other locks the quadrant to that rectangular bar. I always forget which is which myself..
http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... le#p256752
Last edited by RFGuy on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

In loosens the tilt lock nut.

Out loosens the lateral clamp.

Both are lefty loosey, righty tighty.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:18 pm In loosens the tilt lock nut.

Out loosens the lateral clamp.

Both are lefty loosey, righty tighty.
:eek: I did get it right. The brain is still hitting on all cylinders. :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Easy to remember. The 'wrench' slips over the tilt lock nut when pushed in. The 'wrench' slides onto the clamping bolt head when pulled out. Just ignore the clamping dowel(ya cannot see it anyway).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Asbrand
Gold Member

Post by Asbrand »

LOL - I had no idea it was that simple.

Well, don't I look like an idjit?
-Az
Asbrand
Gold Member

Post by Asbrand »

Yep...it was that simple. Had no idea. Thanks, all...!
-Az
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Asbrand wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:40 pm Yep...it was that simple. Had no idea. Thanks, all...!
Yeah, it is a simple, but very elegant design.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor