Repurposing a bandsaw table

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Danriffle
Gold Member

Repurposing a bandsaw table

Post by Danriffle »

My bandsaw came with an upgraded table and the old cast iron table in a box. Anyone have clever ideas on how to repurpose that dandy hunk of cast iron?
www.blacklocustwoodshop.com

4 - 10E/ERs
1 - MkV
1 - Yuba Sawsmith
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Repurposing a bandsaw table

Post by jsburger »

Make a trim router table?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm Make a trim router table?
Excellent idea! Or maybe mount a Dremel type tool or a jig/saber saw.

Those tables are nice hunks of steel, just took mine off for cleaning and alignment and once again surprised myself with its weight. Do the aluminum tables weigh a lot less? Certainly would make aligning the spindle a lot easier if an extra 10 lbs. wasn't there.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Danriffle
Gold Member

Post by Danriffle »

jsburger wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm Make a trim router table?
I like the sound of that!
www.blacklocustwoodshop.com

4 - 10E/ERs
1 - MkV
1 - Yuba Sawsmith
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Interesting ideas. A base could be made and the trunnions could be mounted to the table backwards to allow more room , if needed, for whatever tool was mounted under it. A plate could be made to hold the tool that mounts with the trunnion bolts. Add a 3D printed table insert with whatever hole size and shape is needed for the tool mounted. There should be quite a few cast iron Bandsaw Tables available for these ideas as others have changed theirs to the aluminum table.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I haven't scoped out how hard it would be, but I'm interested in adapting either type BS table to the Strip Sander. I think having miter slots would open up a whole world of potential in making and mounting jigs. Alternatively, an adaptation of standard T-slot or "the Buckeye's" new system would also work well. Just thinking the standard Strip Sander table is a little too standard.

I think the small router table is a great idea. Its worth looking at Ed Reible's MFT mount of a router or sander. And I would also consider an inverted mount for a hand-held jig saw. IIUC, the original SS (Magna) Jig Saw could use blades of this type (single end mounted) but the modern SS Scroll Saw cannot.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As for your comment David,
IIUC, the original SS (Magna) Jig Saw could use blades of this type (single end mounted) but the modern SS Scroll Saw cannot.
The Magna/Shopsmith Jig Saw can use single ended blades and have the upper arm removed to use as a Sabre Saw. The same is true for the Model 10E and 10ER Jigsaw Saw. It is a nice feature of those Jig Saws when cutting larger stock with no arm to work around.

As for using the cast iron Bandsaw table on the Strip Sander there could be problems. The Strip Sander table is 11" x11" whereas the Bandsaw CI table is 12" x 12" so the center hole wouldn't line up on the strip sander. One possibility would be to remove some of the table edge next to the Strip Sander's frame and cover to center the hole. That use would also depend on if the trunnions line up and is the Strip Sander's single trunnion strong enough to hold the Bandsaw's CI table. The Bandsaw's aluminum table would have some of the same mounting/clearance problems but is lighter in weight.

I do see the thought processes are hard at work here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.