Wax tip.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Wax tip.

Post by robinson46176 »

I don't recall if I ever mentioned this before, if I have, just chalk it up to galloping senility.
Over the years I have tried a number of waxes for tubes etc and found that I could find nothing that works better than the originally recommended Johnson's paste wax...
There is one exception to that. On aluminum table surfaces some time ago I found something slicker (and you especially want the extension tables to be slick). Walk into the house and tell your wife that her favorite rose bush looks to be in distress... When she runs screaming from the house to check on it you run to where she keeps cleaning supplies and snitch her can of Lemon Pledge. Be careful when you spray it around as it can make a smooth floor almost dangerously slick. :eek: Our oldest daughter once sprayed a dust mop with it and the front hall was like an ice rink.:D
I still use Johnson's paste wax on about everything else.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

robinson46176 wrote:I don't recall if I ever mentioned this before, if I have, just chalk it up to galloping senility.
Over the years I have tried a number of waxes for tubes etc and found that I could find nothing that works better than the originally recommended Johnson's paste wax...
There is one exception to that. On aluminum table surfaces some time ago I found something slicker (and you especially want the extension tables to be slick). Walk into the house and tell your wife that her favorite rose bush looks to be in distress... When she runs screaming from the house to check on it you run to where she keeps cleaning supplies and snitch her can of Lemon Pledge. Be careful when you spray it around as it can make a smooth floor almost dangerously slick. :eek: Our oldest daughter once sprayed a dust mop with it and the front hall was like an ice rink.:D
I still use Johnson's paste wax on about everything else.
Interesting...I believe that lemon juice is knot that good for aluminum. The combination of lemon juice and aluminum creates hydrogen gas, an indicator that the metal is being dissolved. See here.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I doubt that pledge actually has lemon juice in it. Lemon scent - yes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I didn't say to put lemon juice on them, I said Lemon Pledge.I have done this for years and none of the surfaces have crumbled into a pile of dust... I wouldn't recommend anything that I have not had personal experience over time doing.
Pledge smells way too much like lemon to have any real lemon in it... :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

a note of interest
I was able to pull up a MSDS for Pledge on the S. C. Johnson products page.
http://www.scjohnson.com/msds_us_ca/PDF ... Polish.PDF
This shows no Citric acid or any other acids in lemon pledge. The lubricant seams to be called dimethicone and is one of several types of silicone oil.

They do have light alkyate listed in the ingredients so that wood seem to make the compound slightly base in nature, not acidic.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

mikelst wrote:a note of interest
I was able to pull up a MSDS for Pledge on the S. C. Johnson products page.
http://www.scjohnson.com/msds_us_ca/PDF ... Polish.PDF
This shows no Citric acid or any other acids in lemon pledge. The lubricant seams to be called dimethicone and is one of several types of silicone oil.

They do have light alkyate listed in the ingredients so that wood seem to make the compound slightly base in nature, not acidic.

SILICONE:eek: Don't get me started on what SILICONE :eek: can do when you try to finish wood that has be contaminated with SILICONE:eek:
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Ed in Tampa wrote:SILICONE:eek: Don't get me started on what SILICONE :eek: can do when you try to finish wood that has be contaminated with SILICONE:eek:

Then you add FEE just like the body shops do :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

No Silicone

Post by Gene Howe »

I read somewhere, can't remember where,(darned oldtimers disease!) that one of the leading brands of spray furniture polish/wax contained NO silicone. Can't remember which brand either!:eek: :eek:
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

Does it have to be paste wax? I use liquid wax for the rails and table?
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Gene Howe wrote:I read somewhere, can't remember where,(darned oldtimers disease!) that one of the leading brands of spray furniture polish/wax contained NO silicone. Can't remember which brand either!:eek: :eek:

Maybe you read it here.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles ... LY-OLD.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.