Wax tip.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

I heard from an ex-motorcycle officer that they used pledge on their bikes, made it easier to clean the bug guts off.
So... pledge does have its uses, like the afore mentioned slick floors.
I've made that mistake before.:o
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

pinkiewerewolf. Glad to see your back with us..
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
dkerfoot
Gold Member

Post by dkerfoot »

When I was in the Navy going through basic electronics school, some guys discovered that spraying Pledge on top of a newly waxed floor made it look amazing. They thought they were geniuses until the two chiefs that were doing the room inspection both fell on their backsides as soon as they walked into the room!

-Doug
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

pinkiewerewolf wrote:I heard from an ex-motorcycle officer that they used pledge on their bikes, made it easier to clean the bug guts off.
So... pledge does have its uses, like the afore mentioned slick floors.
I've made that mistake before.:o
Hey Pinkie,
School out?
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dkerfoot wrote:When I was in the Navy going through basic electronics school, some guys discovered that spraying Pledge on top of a newly waxed floor made it look amazing. They thought they were geniuses until the two chiefs that were doing the room inspection both fell on their backsides as soon as they walked into the room!

-Doug

What? The Chief's had no sense of humor.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

CPO's and training commands do not equate to a sense of humor.
Yes, that is experience speaking. As a trainee and a trainer(over a period of years).:D
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Re: Wax tip.

Post by SteveMaryland »

Has anyone tried "Jubilee" on a Shopsmith??

I haven't, yet. I am ready to run out of JPW, so I will be shopping for a new can soon (the can I have now came from Home Depot - still available??).

Anyway, Jubilee was an SC Johnson product from wayback when housewives actually polished refrigerators and countertops. Then it disappeared from the store shelves, and then it re-appeared again as sold by Malco. Looks and smells like the old stuff as I remember it. Easy to apply. I bought it online; have not seen it in stores for years.

Might be OK stuff. Does it contain any wax? I don't know, nor do I know if Pledge contains any wax, or what they use now instead of wax (silicone?). I don't know what may be so wrong with wax that they replaced it. If Pledge is so super slick, why are we all not using it instead of JPW on Shopsmiths??

One thing about Jubilee - it smells terrific! Very unique and attractive smell. I could smell Jubilee all day. So if you can't use Jubilee on your Shopsmith, at least you could huff it and get your money's worth that way...
Attachments
JUBILEE 3.JPG
JUBILEE 3.JPG (37.65 KiB) Viewed 151 times
JUBILEE 1.JPG
JUBILEE 1.JPG (67.88 KiB) Viewed 151 times
JUBILEE 2.JPG
JUBILEE 2.JPG (66.42 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Wax tip.

Post by JPG »

What is needed is carnauba wax. As for scent, that comes from whatever solvents are used.

A simpler replacement is paste finishing wax(minwax)

JPW was a paste FLOOR wax. Original was slippery so later floor waxes were 'de slipperyiezed'.

From looking at the ingredients I would not recommend Jubilee.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange