headstock problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

papahammer8
Gold Member

headstock problem

Post by papahammer8 »

when i turn on 1 of my headstocks its hard to turn over binding up . if i dont help spin it it throws the breaker . need suggestions thanks
jim bandy lafayette alabama 79 model 500 /80 model 500/94model 510 mini/ planer/dc3300/bandsaw/jointer/ lathe duplicator/ router table with a porter cablerouter.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

papahammer8 wrote:when i turn on 1 of my headstocks its hard to turn over binding up . if i dont help spin it it throws the breaker . need suggestions thanks

First step is to determine if the motor or the headstock is causing the problem.

Remove the belt cover with it stopped and set to fast.

'Slip' the belt off the motor pulley.

Rotate the quill by hand. It should turn fairly easily.

Rotate the motor by hand. It should turn very easily.

Last try starting the motor and observe if it starts easily. or does what you described above. If it still stalls, take it out and blow it out throughly and try again.

Come back with 'observations'.:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
papahammer8
Gold Member

Post by papahammer8 »

will do first thing this am thanks . this headstock is the 1 i found abandoned in an old house . that started the ss bug again . thanks will get back to u
jim
jim bandy lafayette alabama 79 model 500 /80 model 500/94model 510 mini/ planer/dc3300/bandsaw/jointer/ lathe duplicator/ router table with a porter cablerouter.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

papahammer8 wrote:will do first thing this am thanks . this headstock is the 1 i found abandoned in an old house . that started the ss bug again . thanks will get back to u
jim

The fact that it attempts to turn at all is good news (sorta). With it binding, however, do not leave power applied very long. That could do damage to the motor windings (too much current, too long).

I would put the sanding disk on it (power off) and attempt to turn the shaft. The belts could be stuck within the sheaves. Turning the shafts, with the aid of the disk, could possibly free them.

Beyond that I believe you are going to journey to within the innards of the headstock.

Sure wish I could find headstocks in old abandoned houses.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
papahammer8
Gold Member

Post by papahammer8 »

well i blew out all the dust in side . belts are not stuck . i got it to run up wide open shut it down. i oiled the sheaves. runs fineeverything runs right figured that dust as gotten into the motor thanks jpg and dusty . i'm no novice to this ss bug . i've always pulled pm when called for . this head stock maybe 25 yrs. old . plus i got it on a mini doing sanding . keep it on a dust collector all the time thanks again
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

papahammer8 wrote:well i blew out all the dust in side . belts are not stuck . i got it to run up wide open shut it down. i oiled the sheaves. runs fineeverything runs right figured that dust as gotten into the motor thanks jpg and dusty . i'm no novice to this ss bug . i've always pulled pm when called for . this head stock maybe 25 yrs. old . plus i got it on a mini doing sanding . keep it on a dust collector all the time thanks again

Realize that the sanding disk has so much inertia, that it greatly increases the startup time getting up to 'speed'. This is more so with the steel disc than the alumunum one.

It is possible the start contacts had dust keeping them from making good.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

papahammer8 wrote:well i blew out all the dust in side . belts are not stuck . i got it to run up wide open shut it down. i oiled the sheaves. runs fineeverything runs right figured that dust as gotten into the motor thanks jpg and dusty . i'm no novice to this ss bug . i've always pulled pm when called for . this head stock maybe 25 yrs. old . plus i got it on a mini doing sanding . keep it on a dust collector all the time thanks again
Good. Very pleased to know that it is running. Now lubricate it again. Yes, I say do it again. If it was unhappy, a little bit of oil made it momentarily content. Oiling it again should make it happy until the next scheduled PM.

NOTICE: I am guilty of extreme care. I probably oil twice as much as anyone else on the forum. I don't believe that it does any harm at all. You might have to wipe off some of what gets slung around inside the headstock but that is simple compared to freeing a seized drive line.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.