Jointer question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Jointer question

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Has anyone replaced the cutter head on a Shopsmith jointer with a spiral cutter? Just curious...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Has anyone replaced the cutter head on a Shopsmith jointer with a spiral cutter? Just curious...
Where would one get one?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

Ditto - I have never seen one available for the SS. That aside, what advantage would such a head give you? And, would it be cheaper or more cost effective to run?
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The Shopsmith jointer has three blades and is powered by a variable speed source.

What do most of the other small (non-professional) jointers have?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I looked to see if Shelix had a retro fit kit small enough however they don't and have no intent (at least when I checked) to make one small enough to fit the Shopsmith jointer. I presume if you were willing to pay for the research and machining they would create one.

The biggest benefits I saw were
1. Savings in time when installing and setting blades.
No fiddling nor jigs need to set the correct height. Just unscrew and remove carbide bits as needed. The bits are indexed similar to my planer that has throw away blades which are indexed to the blade holder.
2. Remove the need to grind / hone all three blades for one nick.
The bits are in a spiral around the shaft. If one bit gets nicked, loosen and turn to the next cutter surface or it need be, remove and replace it rather than shifting blades left and right to obscure the nick until they can be removed and resharpened. Fast and efficient.
Additionally, most carbide bits are two or four sided. That means when one side gets dull, loosen the screws, rotate 90 or 180 degrees, tighten and you are ready.

Down side is the cost. Last I checked it was north of $350 for the 6" jointer conversion. :eek:

Seems quite expensive when you consider you can buy a Steel City 12" planer using the same technology for $500

Franky there are some part of my equipment where I enjoy the fiddle factor. Adjusting until everything is smooth and functional. Other items I want no muss no fuss. For me the planer and jointer land squarely in the no fuss nor muss category.

Shelix makes a replacement for my Delta planer. I bought the planer cheap enough that it makes financial sense to remove the blades and install the helical carbide cutters. If not I was seriously considering the Steel City planer.

From my research I remember that Shelix had conversions for some standalone jointers. They had a generic 6" version. I've read that Shopmate (or maybe ShopFox - some clone anyway) makes a 6" jointer which fits the Shopsmith. Possibly finding one of those and converting it would be a solution.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Ben
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Reason for no spiral cutterhead

Post by masonsailor2 »

There is a reason why they will never be able to make a spiral cutterhead for the SS. The SS hs a fixed outfield table and you mute have an adjustable outfield table to use a spiral cutterhead in order to align the cutters with the outfield table !
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

masonsailor2 wrote:There is a reason why they will never be able to make a spiral cutterhead for the SS. The SS hs a fixed outfield table and you mute have an adjustable outfield table to use a spiral cutterhead in order to align the cutters with the outfield table !
Maybe...., but if I remember correctly (it's been over 20 years since I tore one completely down to rebuild it), the housing for the bearings or maybe it was the bolts with shims and washers, provided a possibility of changing the shaft height.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain, I remember something about that adjustment if needed. Just can't find the cobwebs hiding it at the moment and the manual is out in the garage and at 7 below :eek: I'm not going out of find it!

Be well,
Ben
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

benush26 wrote:Maybe...., but if I remember correctly (it's been over 20 years since I tore one completely down to rebuild it), the housing for the bearings or maybe it was the bolts with shims and washers, provided a possibility of changing the shaft height.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain, I remember something about that adjustment if needed. Just can't find the cobwebs hiding it at the moment and the manual is out in the garage and at 7 below :eek: I'm not going out of find it!

Be well,
Ben
Shims maybe, but not much 'range'.

You may be thinking of the horizontal adjustment possible due to oversize holes for the mounting screws.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

There was a time when I was intimidated by sharpening and installing the blades in my SS jointer but then I did it and let me tell you it is just not a problem (as I sure that many others such as Bill Mayo will also tell you).

So we don't need no lousy fancy high faulten head for our jointer!

Just kidding a bit there but I really don't think we have a problem that needs a fix. The system the way it is works great. Blades are easy to sharpen (with a conical sanding disk and a simple fixture anyways) and installing them is really pretty easy. Bill Mayo sent me a simple procedure, I used it and really a null brainer.
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

bobgroh wrote:There was a time when I was intimidated by sharpening and installing the blades in my SS jointer but then I did it and let me tell you it is just not a problem (as I sure that many others such as Bill Mayo will also tell you).

So we don't need no lousy fancy high faulten head for our jointer!

Just kidding a bit there but I really don't think we have a problem that needs a fix. The system the way it is works great. Blades are easy to sharpen (with a conical sanding disk and a simple fixture anyways) and installing them is really pretty easy. Bill Mayo sent me a simple procedure, I used it and really a null brainer.
Bob, it is so much easier now using your block of wood idea to hold the straight edge. Thanks. The small magnets worked nicely to hold the block of wood from moving on the table. I believe some times, us prefectists do go over board when doing simple procedures.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)