Under-Shopsmith Storage Cabinet

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: My first Shopsmith project

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
Beave2012 wrote:
JPG wrote:Better Yet, just attach that PDF here also. ;)
I would love to do that, except I think I would just have to remake it. Not sure if i can post that website's PDF even though I made all the content. I will have to check.
What does 'Going Pro' mean?
Who said anything about 'Going Pro'.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: My first Shopsmith project - An under-Shopsmith Cabinet

Post by dusty »

I wish that I could touch and feel. It looks as though you have done a real 'professional' job on this cabinet. Good crisp corners, quality hinges, tight joints, good fitting doors and a very functional design. Congratulations on a job well done.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

JPG wrote:
Beave2012 wrote:
JPG wrote:Better Yet, just attach that PDF here also. ;)
I would love to do that, except I think I would just have to remake it. Not sure if i can post that website's PDF even though I made all the content. I will have to check.
Gets rid of ads. I got it free fRom posting a featured project. Well 3 months free. i can also view stuff s s a pdf and see projects all in one page
-Beave
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

kschwarz20 wrote:Beave2012 - I saw your post on Instructables yesterday - great post there and here. One question - How well does your machine roll around with the extra weight of the cabinet?
Rolls like a champ. Can't really feel a difference. However with more weight it may get heavier so I may upgrade the casters one day.
-Beave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:
[ quote="JPG"]
Better Yet, just attach that PDF here also. ;)[/quote

quote="Beave2012"]
I would love to do that, except I think I would just have to remake it. Not sure if i can post that website's PDF even though I made all the content. I will have to check.[/quote

Who said anything about 'Going Pro'.

IF you dare taking the original link to instructables, then click on "Download PDF" you will be asked if you want to Go Pro since that is a pro function.

I chose to not "Go Pro" without further info of what that entails.

I see that my suspicions are confirmed($) [Beav...] posted as I was creating this post]

So Beav... if YOU have Pro 'Priviledges', try downloading YOUR PDF and posting it here. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
davemcghee
Silver Member

Post by davemcghee »

JPG wrote:

Instructables.com has free and paid (pro) memberships. Pro members can download free PDFs of projects, regular members can't download the PDFs. Yo can still print out the entire project for free just not without all the ads.

It's a pretty cool, safe, free, and informative website. It's been around for several years so I'm surprised that folk on this forum do not know about it.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

Well I have now updated the original posting with the PDF because I asked instructables and no one responded so ill take that as its ok. (also is there a better place I should post those plans on the forums? I'm not sure but I THINK they would be useful to others... at least I hope)

So leaving the first like 15 posts aside, my question still remains, any ideas for the middle cabinet?
-Beave
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Beave2012 wrote:Well I have now updated the original posting with the PDF because I asked instructables and no one responded so ill take that as its ok. (also is there a better place I should post those plans on the forums? I'm not sure but I THINK they would be useful to others... at least I hope)

So leaving the first like 15 posts aside, my question still remains, any ideas for the middle cabinet?
You will undoubtedly acquire plenty of Shopsmith accessories to fill up that space. My first thought was a Speed Reducer. I don't use mine all that often, but when I need it, I need it.

But thinking about how I actually work, what I really need to have right at hand are my measuring instruments. If you don't have a separate box for measuring instruments, that center cabinet could be a great spot for them. I'm thinking a couple of shallow drawers at the top on full-extension slides. My most frequently used instruments are a good tape measure, a couple sizes of combination squares, and dial calipers. Sometimes an angle indicator, and a pocket calculator. After measuring instruments, I'm most likely to be grabbing drill bits. Brad-point and Forstner, usually, with the Shopsmith. Good stuff to have close at hand.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
Beave2012 wrote:Well I have now updated the original posting with the PDF because I asked instructables and no one responded so ill take that as its ok. (also is there a better place I should post those plans on the forums? I'm not sure but I THINK they would be useful to others... at least I hope)

You will undoubtedly acquire plenty of Shopsmith accessories to fill up that space. My first thought was a Speed Reducer. I don't use mine all that often, but when I need it, I need it.

But thinking about how I actually work, what I really need to have right at hand are my measuring instruments. If you don't have a separate box for measuring instruments, that center cabinet could be a great spot for them. I'm thinking a couple of shallow drawers at the top on full-extension slides. My most frequently used instruments are a good tape measure, a couple sizes of combination squares, and dial calipers. Sometimes an angle indicator, and a pocket calculator. After measuring instruments, I'm most likely to be grabbing drill bits. Brad-point and Forstner, usually, with the Shopsmith. Good stuff to have close at hand.
I like it. Although drawers are almost out of the question, due to the euro hinges and how they cover a portion of the opening, I would have to put a spacer on the hinge side, so the drawer would be starting 3/4 of the way from the side. Although, it is a neat idea. I like the comb. square idea. But I do use have those on a nearby work bench mount. (I have tape and basic stuff on the right cabinet with the other saw blades as well.

I may think about mounting drill bits to the inside of the cabinet, and a vertical drawer for the lathe chisels.

Sadly I bet I would find the most use if I created a pencil dispenser and filled it with pencils lol. 5000 pencil cabinet so I don't lose them, but that's just crazy talk.

Great ideas though. Thanks for your opinion on it
-Beave