Wow. Priced teak lately ?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Wow. Priced teak lately ?

Post by masonsailor2 »

My next project is a new cockpit table for our sailboat so I went to the local hardwood supplier to check out the teak and went into shock. It's only been about two years since I bought some teak and the price has almost doubled. $30/bdft now. I asked about marine grade teak ply and found out isn't a whole lot better and they have to order it. They want to be paid in advance and whatever arrives is yours. Like it or not. I checked around and that seems to be the going price. The table is about 10 sq ft so with fiddles etc this table is going to run about $350 just for the wood !?!
Paul
tenbears
Gold Member

Re: Wow. Priced teak lately ?

Post by tenbears »

Iroko finishes darker than most teak but at $7.20BF is for interior boat work a suitable alternative. Actually Teak at $30BF is very reasonable for Burmese Teak. My primary marine wood supplier is listing 4/4 12"X10'up at around $43.00. CVG at over $70. Might want to consider laminating decking strips to an Okume or Meranti backing and only buying some 8/4 to mill the bunk rails. Burmese Teak is expensive because the supply is dwindling and Myanmar is not on a favorite trading partner list with the US right now. There are supplies of reclaimed teak out there but it takes a bit of time find them as they tend to get bought up by large buyers quickly.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

34.50 brd ft for 4/4 at my supplier and I consider there wood price very reasonable as a whole.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Wish I could switch woods but all the wood including interior is Burmese Teak and I want to keep the table in the same.
Paul
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Not that it will do you any good, but I checked my "local" supplier's "Genuine Teak" prices and got $27/bd.ft for 4/4 and $33/bd.ft for 16/4.

While on their site I saw they also sell "Rhodesian Teak." I never heard of it but looked it up and apparently while not a true Teak it has similar color and excellent rot resistance and hardness and is only $7.95/bd/ft for 4/4 and $8.95/bd.ft for 8/4.

Up until a year ago, this place was literally a mile and a half from my house! Now it's 30 minutes away, but still worth the trip (for me): http://www.exoticlumberinc.com
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

I would be inclined to use plywood and veneer it. Certainly wood is currently listing very thick (1/8") south Asian teak at $5.95 / square foot subject to their discount structure which starts at a $100 order.
https://www.certainlywood.com/images_me ... K%201201-1
Then you could spend a few bucks on solid for the trim.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
tenbears
Gold Member

Post by tenbears »

3mm A4, 4x8' sheet of Teak veneer plywood out of Port Townsend Wa is listed at $194/sheet. As I stated earlier, if you are happy with veener, laminate this to high quality marine ply, 18mm 1088 Okume around $180/sheet or 18mm 1088 Meranti around $140/sheet which is also available in 25mm sheets. to get the thickness you want. Still not going to be cheep. It's Teak, It's marine and it's going to be expensive no matter how you build it. In the end though, nothing will look better. BTW steer clear of the cheep china import marine ply. The Lloyds rated 1088 material is some of the nicest plywood material you will have the opportunity to work with. No voids, no overlapping layers and no surprises in the middle of the sheets.
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

This is just my opinion. There is obviously more than one right way to do anything ..... but ...
I would choose 1/8" solid teak veneer at just under $6.00 per square foot over 3mm (1/8") plywood that has at best a 1mm teak surface and costs just over $6.00 per square foot. I also wouldn't use expensive marine plywood on an interior table. I would likely go with G1S fir 3/4" (or possibly even 1/2") pw, teak veneer on top and a cheaper dark veneer on the bottom to stabilize the whole.

Again, just an opinion.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

The veneer is what is there now and it is certainly an option. The 1/8 veneer is available. The cost difference is negligible as I will have to buy a full sheet vs buying the solid teak. For the $100 difference I am leaning towards solid teak. What is there now I have refinished several times and at this point it just needs to be redone. I will do it in the exact same style as it matches the salon table and many other interior aspects.
Paul
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Have you considered resawing your own 1/8" veneer from teak boards? Sounds like fun, if you have the time. I doubt that you'd get a big return on your labor-hour, though.