SS Planer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: SS Planer

Post by jsburger »

dgreen810 wrote:James

I pushed the power button down to the "on" and plugged the motor control into an outlet. The feeder motor ran great, but not the power motor. Un plugged the power motor from the motor control into an outlet and it runs great. I am unsure if the key will make any difference or not, sure hate to spend $13.00 for nothing.

By the way just came from some checking. Found the belt adjustment was OK, but also found the pulleys were almost 1/4" out of line. Both were tight. Moved the upper 3" pulley inline with the motor pulley with a puller, put the guards back on and the unit runs very quiet like it should. Looks like all I may need is a control key.

Don G
First, the switch is pulled up to the on position. Maybe that is what you meant. The key lock is a mechanical lock so if the switch moves the lock is unlocked and the key is not needed unless of course if you want to lock it.

Second the fact that the switch does not turn on the cutter head motor is troubling. The fact that the feed motor runs is great in that it is very difficult to fix other than buying the whole control box to the tune of $362.

I don't have the wiring diagram for the control box but there is a thread here on repairing the feed motor portion of the box. Not easy but doable. I would think the main motor would be simpler since it is 120V AC and should just go through the switch. However the control box internal parts are not available from SS AFAIK.

The planer looks like it is in almost new condition so given the price you paid (stole :D ) for it, buying a new control box is not unreasonable. That is still a decent price and you will not regret it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

jsburger

You are correct, up is "On". just came in for the last time today, COPD caught up with me. I must be holding my mouth right. Plugged the cutter motor into the bottom of the motor controller, powered up to A.C., raised the switch to the on position and "Voilla", both feed rollers are running as well as the cutter motor. The input feed works as it should. I now need to read the manual and make sure all the settings are correct. I don't trust what someone else did.

John. I now believe that initially I didn't have the cutter motor plugged all the way into the motor controller is why it didn't run but the feeder motor did.

Don G
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Don't know yet it is still as the photos show. My next door help is still playing golf and I can't lift it yet. I do have a minor problem though, the control box key is no where and I ran the motors directly. I called SS and the key is $4.99 plus $7.00 shipping. I am going to try and make one. I am hoping it's a loose belt or something minor.

The cutters don't appear to be nicked in any way.

Don G
First off, the planer is not a quiet machine. The chatter may be normal. Impossible to say without hearing it.

If the key is not there, I suspect it got broken off while in the on position. In the off position neither motor should run.

You said you got a spare set of blades. You got your $100 worth right there. Everything else amounts to grand larceny.

When you have it running, can you change speeds? If it changes, you will be able to hear it.

Congratulations on a really good buy.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dgreen810 wrote:jsburger

You are correct, up is "On". just came in for the last time today, COPD caught up with me. I must be holding my mouth right. Plugged the cutter motor into the bottom of the motor controller, powered up to A.C., raised the switch to the on position and "Voilla", both feed rollers are running as well as the cutter motor. The input feed works as it should. I now need to read the manual and make sure all the settings are correct. I don't trust what someone else did.

John. I now believe that initially I didn't have the cutter motor plugged all the way into the motor controller is why it didn't run but the feeder motor did.

Don G
An outstanding find at an outstanding price. I bought mine new from SS back in 2002 or 3. Somewhere around 2008 I found two here locally. I got one for a friend for $100 and another one for another friend for $150. Both were like new just like yours. Congratulations!

Buy the Conical sanding disk and the Jointer/Planer blade sharpening guide and you will be set up for life. Get the blade setting gauge from SS if you didn't get one. You will need it when you sharpen/change blades. Also get the dust chute. It fits on the output side and extends up through the SS logo. It is well worth the price.

Also, a word of caution. You may not do it again but I would not lay the planer on it's side supported by the table. The table has 4 threaded posts that raise and lower it. They are fairly robust but if the table is cranked all the way up you risk bending them on a hard bump. Block it up at the top of the stand.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

jsburger wrote:

Don G
Check the pulley on the cutter head. Since it is under the belt cover it is sight unseen. The set screw on mine worked loose at one point and the pulley rubbing.

Same thing happened to the one I picked up. Original pulleys were made of really soft metal and the new kit with black painted steel pulleys is a bit of improvement. That soft metal can really give way if the setscrew is cross threaded.

Often you can get the belt and IIRC the belt cover in a upgrade kit for not much more. The pulleys on mine were set out too and were rubbing on the belt cover too.

Enjoy it's a nice machine.
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

jsburger

John, point well taken about transport. When I made the purchase, the guy didn't have anything to block it up with. Fortunately, from his house to mine is less than 2 miles. I drove very careful as too not hit any bumps.

Don G
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

I ran into another problem. I received the SS Professional Planner Manual # 555082 with the planer with no instructions for the caster set. The problem is that obviously the caster set is installed incorrectly and I don't have a clue how they should be installed. I know I can remove them and thru trial and error get them so they can be operated without getting down on you knees and operating them by hand but that is not a solution. I can't lift hardly anything and don't care to do that. Can someone attach a copy of installation diagrams and maybe a picture or two to an email please? I really would appreciate it!!

chknspit@cox.net

Don G
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dgreen810 wrote:I ran into another problem. I received the SS Professional Planner Manual # 555082 with the planer with no instructions for the caster set. The problem is that obviously the caster set is installed incorrectly and I don't have a clue how they should be installed. I know I can remove them and thru trial and error get them so they can be operated without getting down on you knees and operating them by hand but that is not a solution. I can't lift hardly anything and don't care to do that. Can someone attach a copy of installation diagrams and maybe a picture or two to an email please? I really would appreciate it!!

chknspit@cox.net

Don G
Actually the castor set is installed correctly. You have to put your tow inside between the legs and under the cross bar to rotate the lever.

Your levers are on the out feed side of the planer. I have mine installed on the in feed side. Just take them off, swap them from side to side and rotate them 180*. That way the levers will be at the normal operating position. However, they will work fine as is.
Attachments
IMAG0480.jpg
IMAG0480.jpg (162.69 KiB) Viewed 10078 times
IMAG0481.jpg
IMAG0481.jpg (161.44 KiB) Viewed 10078 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

jsburger

John, thanks for the pictures. I made a minor modification to keep from bumping my shins that you may be interested in. Made a temporary, then moved the original up.

Don G
Attachments
IMG_0293 re.jpg
IMG_0293 re.jpg (729.38 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
IMG_0298 re.jpg
IMG_0298 re.jpg (711.79 KiB) Viewed 10061 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dgreen810 wrote:jsburger

John, thanks for the pictures. I made a minor modification to keep from bumping my shins that you may be interested in. Made a temporary, then moved the original up.

Don G
Good idea. I have not moved mine since I built the dedicated shop 6 years ago so it is not a problem for me.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT