cooch366
Gold Member

Re: Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Post by cooch366 »

jms
Gold Member

Post by jms »

I've been in the market for a DC3300, ended up buying a Delta 50-760 earlier this week (got a GREAT deal), then today this brand new DC330L shows up close to me at a very good price ...

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/tls/d ... 67977.html
DOWeaver
Gold Member

Post by DOWeaver »

Anyone live anywhere near Montana Look at Ebay 10 e Expementral? Lower saw gard ? I think under red white and blue cover and speed changer Score doweaver
Dale
1992 Mark V with 510 upgrades All SPT Machine in black II
1950 #24616 10 E Demo All Parts and extras used as drill press. Teresa
1951 #45246 10 ER SS Refurbished Shelly + Brent
Early 1951 #47982 10 ER SS Refurbished
Late 1951 #53316 10 ER SS Refurbished
Also addicted tool collector
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DOWeaver wrote:Anyone live anywhere near Montana Look at Ebay 10 e Expementral? Lower saw gard ? I think under red white and blue cover and speed changer Score doweaver
I do not 'see' anything under the red white blue. ;)
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (57.13 KiB) Viewed 10388 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DOWeaver
Gold Member

Post by DOWeaver »

Man O Man in the add that picture sure looks different. "Guess I Picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue" my bad Sorry DOWeaver
Dale
1992 Mark V with 510 upgrades All SPT Machine in black II
1950 #24616 10 E Demo All Parts and extras used as drill press. Teresa
1951 #45246 10 ER SS Refurbished Shelly + Brent
Early 1951 #47982 10 ER SS Refurbished
Late 1951 #53316 10 ER SS Refurbished
Also addicted tool collector
SlimPhoenix
Bronze Member

Post by SlimPhoenix »

Hello all,

Brand-spanking-new to the forums so if this is the wrong place for this please let me know.

I have a two-part question...

Some background... I've been wanting to get a SS for years now as my father has had one since I was a kid. I've been looking to get one that soundly operates and has all the original equipment. What I'm looking for is at the oldest, an 80's Mk V (non-greenie) to get started that requires no hardware repairs. Ideally I would like to have jointer, bandsaw and belt sanding add-ons but am very flexible with this. The issue that I'm having is that I'm seeing these on CL for 1k+ and am only looking to spend 500-750.

That being said, on with the question(s)...

Are the older models that I'm seeing on CL for 300-500 (greenies) as worthy as the later models (excluding Mk 7 of course)? If so is it worth saving money and just getting a greenie?... If not, is getting a 510 or newer so that I can upgrade the motor at a later date a better option?

These are the only things that are keeping me from committing to obtaining one and I prefer to make an informed decision rather than a rash one. I live in Colorado Springs so if I can find one that is within my price point and worth the money I would jump on the chance.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

SlimPhoenix wrote:Hello all,

Brand-spanking-new to the forums so if this is the wrong place for this please let me know.

I have a two-part question...

Some background... I've been wanting to get a SS for years now as my father has had one since I was a kid. I've been looking to get one that soundly operates and has all the original equipment. What I'm looking for is at the oldest, an 80's Mk V (non-greenie) to get started that requires no hardware repairs. Ideally I would like to have jointer, bandsaw and belt sanding add-ons but am very flexible with this. The issue that I'm having is that I'm seeing these on CL for 1k+ and am only looking to spend 500-750.

That being said, on with the question(s)...

Are the older models that I'm seeing on CL for 300-500 (greenies) as worthy as the later models (excluding Mk 7 of course)? If so is it worth saving money and just getting a greenie?... If not, is getting a 510 or newer so that I can upgrade the motor at a later date a better option?

These are the only things that are keeping me from committing to obtaining one and I prefer to make an informed decision rather than a rash one. I live in Colorado Springs so if I can find one that is within my price point and worth the money I would jump on the chance.
Welcome to the forum. Most of your questions can be answered by reviewing the three sticky notes at the top of the Maintenance and Repair section. As far as the greenies or MK 500's go, all can be upgraded to the current MK 7 if you wish to. The motor is unique to the SS system but any SS motor is interchangeable with the exception of the new Power Pro motor. IIRC, in the early 60's the motor was changed from a 3/4 hp to a 1 1/8 hp and from a Gilmer drive system to a poly V-belt system. Parts are available for both systems. One of the bigger expenses of upgrading is from the Mk 500 table system to the Mk 510 or 520 system. I am sure others will chime in as well.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

An 80s mark V is over a half century younger than the youngest greenie or goldie(which BTW were Mark 5s).

The only issues with a greenie are the older Gilmer drive/quill and the larger bench tubes. Neither are in and of themselves a major problem, but they are simply different and therefore parts are not interchangable. And yes the Mark 5 tables are small(as is the Mark v 500).

As for the gilmer drive, only the gilmer belt is still available as a replacement part from SS. However it can all be replaced with Poly-v parts($$$$$ :eek: ).

So what Brenda has said is gospel!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DOWeaver wrote:Man O Man in the add that picture sure looks different. "Guess I Picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue" my bad Sorry DOWeaver
The ad picture had shadow under the red white blue. With futzing with the pix, the shadow is eliminated and the bottom of the drawer became visible. Hurrah for photo editing software!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router