Question on wood movement

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Beave2012
Platinum Member

Question on wood movement

Post by Beave2012 »

I am working on my new project and am contemplating if I should account for wood movement. It's a cross that has boards only 4.5" wide, but I have inlaid an interior boarder by about 1/4" and extends out the top by about 1/4". However they connect by mitered corners.

Is made of purple heart and paduke. Oh idea what I need to worry about with wood movement?

Here is a picture to e what I'm talking about. I'm still not done, I want to add a scroll pattern in either maple or birch down the center, but I also don't want those miters to break (they are not glued in yet.)
IMAG1117-600x1067.jpg
IMAG1117-600x1067.jpg (158.92 KiB) Viewed 15149 times
-Beave
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Question on wood movement

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Wood will move, but the miters are mainly end grain, which moves a whole lot less. Maybe a mini spline? Glue them up and move on. Nice looking project by the way!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Wood will move, but the miters are mainly end grain, which moves a whole lot less. Maybe a mini spline? Glue them up and move on. Nice looking project by the way!
Because the frame is placed inside the cross is where I worry. The movement of the purple heart on the frame
-Beave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There will be little movement along the long dimensions(vertical and horizontal arms). Only the short pieces at the ends will oppose the grain of the base. Since they are short(~ 4"), I would not be concerned.

JMO.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I agree with JPG. There will be no problem Wood movement on the 4" sides; it will be very,very small.

Only if the cross has adapted to a rain forest atmosphere and then moved to the sierra, will you notice an issue with movement. And even then it will be quite small.

The long sides - NO issue

NOT TO WORRY!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Just my .02

Any idea on the moisture content of the wood ?
Wood will move depending on the direction of the grain from my experience.
my guess is it could shrink a little over the years if moisture is much over 6%, if you want you could drill from the back and insert a few dowels or screws to assist in holding the wood in place along with the the spline idea .

The cross looks good !
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)