On my walk today

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: On my walk today

Post by rpd »

I found a skunk cabbage that I could get a picture of. :)
skunk cabbage.jpg
skunk cabbage.jpg (443.17 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

rpd wrote:I found a skunk cabbage that I could get a picture of. :)

skunk cabbage.jpg
Wow, I think I like yours better. Ours are about done out, leaves are really coming out so unless you have marsh boots on they are becoming obscured. Marsh marigolds will be next but still a ways off.

Lots of skilla coming out now. This was a small patch near the owl nest but other places had what looked like fields of them. Could have gotten more pictures but was on my second camera battery already and didn't want to miss out on some other important pictures later in the day, which by the way didn't happen as it started to rain and get even darker.
IMG_6174asc.jpg
IMG_6174asc.jpg (669.41 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

When I was young (10-12) we had a pair of ministers just out of seminary filling in while a new permanent minister was being chosen. One of them gave a talk to our youth group about edible plants that could be used in an emergency. One of the plants mentioned was skunk cabbage root, so then next time I was staying at my Grandmothers I dug one up, actually just a piece maybe an inch and a half long. When I got home I called my friend Rod and we met at the church so we and the minister could try it. Each of us chewed a small piece, the minister spat his out right away, Rod and I persevered a bit longer, but then we got stabbing pains at the base of our tongues and they swelled up so we couldn’t talk for a couple of hours. :eek:

I suspect that they need to be cooked to make them non toxic, but that information didn't make it into the talk.
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

rpd wrote:When I was young (10-12) we had a pair of ministers just out of seminary filling in while a new permanent minister was being chosen. One of them gave a talk to our youth group about edible plants that could be used in an emergency. One of the plants mentioned was skunk cabbage root, so then next time I was staying at my Grandmothers I dug one up, actually just a piece maybe an inch and a half long. When I got home I called my friend Rod and we met at the church so we and the minister could try it. Each of us chewed a small piece, the minister spat his out right away, Rod and I persevered a bit longer, but then we got stabbing pains at the base of our tongues and they swelled up so we couldn’t talk for a couple of hours. :eek:

I suspect that they need to be cooked to make them non toxic, but that information didn't make it into the talk.
I always figured the smell was a warning to not eat it. I think I read that it has some sort of chemical in it that is not good for you, can't remember what it was. Sometimes even boiling things doesn't work.

I have seen some patches that looked like an animal had been rooting around, I would think perhaps bears since the area has bears. Around here they seem undisturbed and we have no bears. Logic at work despite all the flaws.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Mr Google is your friend. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysichiton_americanus I see that the Western and Eastern Skunk cabbage are different but related species. The toxic part is calcium oxalate crystals, they must be thin and sharp, it certainly felt like needles at the time.
Ron Dyck
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

THANK YOU,ED !!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA