Premium casters, revision “D”

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Re: Premium casters, revision “D”

Post by rcplaneguy »

Self-determined the offset to be 1-1/2”. Used one of the washers SS sent in the kit as a shim between the wheel and the floor, just to be sure no touch when retracted. It gives me 1/2” lift fully extended. Now to drill some holes.

Fully retracted with shim

Fully extended:

Offset 1-1/2” marked from bottom of caster housing (old vs new position)

Temporary clamps holding caster assembly:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't believe that a 1 1/2" offset is adequate.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

Received an unsolicited call from Shopsmith today, telling me that the template shipped with the casters is incorrect and that they are sending a new revision. Nice of them to call ! I’ve not drilled any holes yet, I’ll update when I get the new template. Dusty, I wonder if there might be variations over time with the caster dimensions?
PS: with the clamped 1-1/2” offset, I can’t quite slide a 1/2” board under the legs when the casters are fully extended. The previous photos looked like it was more than 1/2” raised off the floor, but there is a bit of parallax in the photo of the leg and ruler.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rcplaneguy wrote:Received an unsolicited call from Shopsmith today, telling me that the template shipped with the casters is incorrect and that they are sending a new revision. Nice of them to call ! I’ve not drilled any holes yet, I’ll update when I get the new template. Dusty, I wonder if there might be variations over time with the caster dimensions?
PS: with the clamped 1-1/2” offset, I can’t quite slide a 1/2” board under the legs when the casters are fully extended. The previous photos looked like it was more than 1/2” raised off the floor, but there is a bit of parallax in the photo of the leg and ruler.
Undoubtedly there is some variation. These are not "precision items" but I would not expect the deviations to create an inadequate lift condition.

"Inadequate" being user defined.

I have three sets of casters to install but can't measure them now. They are all packed in the POD.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:
rcplaneguy wrote:Received an unsolicited call from Shopsmith today, telling me that the template shipped with the casters is incorrect and that they are sending a new revision. Nice of them to call ! I’ve not drilled any holes yet, I’ll update when I get the new template. Dusty, I wonder if there might be variations over time with the caster dimensions?
Undoubtedly there is some variation. These are not "precision items" but I would not expect the deviations to create an inadequate lift condition.

"Inadequate" being user defined.

I have three sets of casters to install but can't measure them now. They are all packed in the POD.
With this being an ongoing issue, I would hope that Shopsmith would post a copy of the updated template everywhere that they can (here, FB, utube, etc).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

Sorry for the delay in posting, life got busy.

Received the updated templates from SS, but they are exactly the same as those initially received with the caster purchase.

Decided to go with the 1-5/8” offset which is a bit less than on the template. Glad I went less! Worked out OK, but the max lift was 1/16” less than original casters so added the included washers. Now the lift is identical. Can tell from the clearance I have with the belt sander on it’s dedicated dolly.

Overall I am well pleased, a good upgrade!

Left side caster, note the clearance with sander

Note washer over caster for additional lift

Right side caster

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Very nicely done!

Everett

BTW - I received my Certified Government Chief Information Officer Certifications through UNC School of Government. Great value.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So 1 9/16 is good?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

JPG wrote:So 1 9/16 is good?
In my case, 1-9/16 would have been perfect!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

And using the numbers in the drawing I posted, the Mark would set 3/32" higher. A meaningless nit in my opinion.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty