Today in a workshop far far away(Millennium Falcon)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in a workshop far far away(Millennium Falcon)

Post by reible »

A person over in the Shaper Community posted a Millennium Falcon cheese board with the .svg file. So with my son loving anything and everything star wars this seem like something I really had to do but rather then a cheese board I went with the idea of a trivet.

Here it is just cut out and vacuumed:
IMG_2352.jpg
IMG_2352.jpg (310.93 KiB) Viewed 20418 times
Mahogany would not have been my first choice but that is what I had, well I could have used pine or plywood but hey who ever heard of a space ship made out of pine??

I didn't get it centered well but I trimmed the left edge before I sanded it. It now has a finish drying so maybe another picture of the finished trivet.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Today in a workshop far far away(Millennium Falcon)

Post by reible »

Done and ready for delivery each day until three.
IMG_2367.jpg
IMG_2367.jpg (266.21 KiB) Viewed 20374 times
Ed
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Is this CNC or Pattern routing? Guessing CNC since talking about a file.

Where do you get the tape with the domino pattern?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

terrydowning wrote:Is this CNC or Pattern routing? Guessing CNC since talking about a file.

Good questions. I have been watching Ed doing all of his SO postings hoping that I would get answers to a couple of my questions. Never have. How is the router guided? It appears to me to be manually.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The SO is equipped with computer vision. The tape has I believe 256 possible unique patterns and the tape is placed out in rows or columns. The tape is then scanned in and a "map" is created within the machine.

Designs are done in vector generating software and a file called a .svg is what the SO uses. The file can be loaded off a memory stick or by way of the builtin wifi. The file can be sized and rotated before being placed. It can be placed on a grid or just any old where but as you travel around the area to be cut the SO has to "see" the tape and enough of the tape so it knows where it is.

Once placed it provides guidance as to where to move the router as well as correcting your movements within a certain amount. You can also tell it by way of a button punch to travel within it built in range without you moving anything or with you moving along while it is doing its thing.

If you are interested there are a lot of information out on the web about it.

It has given me a lot of capabilities that I did not have before. My initial thoughts were to use it to make pattern which in turn would be used with the pin router or guided bits or template guides. So far it has been too much fun to use all by itself that I just do the projects with it.

It is much like a cnc but a lot less time to prep because you provide the tool path and dept setting etc. But, you have to do the routing so you can't go off to lunch and come back and have a project cut out for you.

Biggest draw back for most people is the price. There is also a learning curve which I have just about peaked on but it was a little slow going when I started since it was so different.

If you have questions let me know and I will try and answer them.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

BTW it is now officially the "Mahogany Falcon". I delivered it today so I guess Christmas is here along with winter as of today.

Ed
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I am ignorant. What does SO mean?
Bill V
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

wa2crk wrote:I am ignorant. What does SO mean?
Bill V
Shaper Origin, just a short way to say it.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
terrydowning wrote:Is this CNC or Pattern routing? Guessing CNC since talking about a file.

Good questions. I have been watching Ed doing all of his SO postings hoping that I would get answers to a couple of my questions. Never have. How is the router guided? It appears to me to be manually.
Ed's post was totally accurate. However, a little more explanation might be needed. The SO is moved manually. The SO router motor is computer controlled within 1/2" of your manual movements and compensates for your human inaccurate moments. The router motor move independently of your manual movement under computer control. If you manually go outside the 1/2" limit the computer will stop the router motor and retract the bit. As soon as you manually move the SO back inside the 1/2" limit as seen on the screen and press the start button the SO will start to cut again.

Since I don't think you ever asked your questions it is hard to know what answers you want.

This thing is a real game changer. As Ed said you can't go to lunch and come back and have a finished product. However, there is no size limit to what you can CNC rout.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

How does the SO know where the intended cut line is?

Should have done this before I asked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRR5gt0Uz-4

This gentleman answered all my questions without me asking.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.