Pat on the back for shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jonesuh
Gold Member

Re: Pat on the back for shopsmith

Post by jonesuh »

wish I knew your secret I've been try off & on for 4 months to get a call back from SS for problems with my power pro no luck
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jonesuh wrote:wish I knew your secret I've been try off & on for 4 months to get a call back from SS for problems with my power pro no luck
I have no experience here with getting technical support from Shopsmith. It can take an eternity just to get someone to talk to on the phone if you order by phone. Based on your comment here and others that I have seen, it sure gives me pause on upgrading to the PowerPro...not that I can afford it anyway.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jonesuh wrote:wish I knew your secret I've been try off & on for 4 months to get a call back from SS for problems with my power pro no luck
There is no secret! It is called persistence. Once you get someone to answer, be assertive. Insist that you be allowed to speak with someone who can answer your questions. Don't accept a brush off. This is especially applicable to problems that involve warranty.

Not with Shopsmith but I have had a warranty run out while I was waiting for resolution that never came.

Who at Shopsmith have you spoken to about this problem? Who has promised call backs that have not occurred? Put the responsible parties "on the record"!

BTW, warranties expire, even Shopsmith's. When does yours expire?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
farmerwd
Gold Member

Post by farmerwd »

dusty wrote:
The Shopsmiths that we so proudly present here on the forum will not be treated the same as they have been as they become the possessions of today's and tomorrow's millennial. Home work shops like ours will disappear. They will no longer be needed or wanted. We are dinosaurs.

How many of us who post here are middle age or less? If you are, please speak up and let me know how very wrong I am.

Well I don't know if it counts or not - but I'm 32 to put a number on it. I'm just now of the age I'm ABLE to start building my own shop / owning the house to do so / having to start getting my own tools I can't borrow from dad anymore.

I expect our shops to evolve a bit - more 3d printers and CNCs (so it seems to me right now anyway) - but the core of the craft, taking an idea and coaxing it into existence with your own hands, seems alive and well in my neck o' the woods. I'm enjoying the chance to restore something and make a piece of americana sing again! It's a joy have such a elegant piece of engineering in my garage. The small footprint will never stop being appealing for the space confined. And heck - I've got three kiddos under 5 so hopefully I can convince at LEAST one of them to join in on the fun :D
Brand new to Shopsmiths - Working with & working on a MarkV - SS54109.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It definitely counts.

As does your demonstrated resourcefulness.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

RFGuy wrote:I believe a similar topic regarding PowerPro headstock locks came up in a previous thread on the forum (link below). It sounds like a plastic spiral piece was added to minimize any risk of PowerPro wiring getting caught around the rod in the headstock lock mechanism.
Off topic, but I am middle-aged or so I am told...
http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintenan ... 18547.html
I purchased the PowerPro DIY version. It came with a full set of very detailed instructions of every step of the process, and with a DVD that covered the complete process.
Guess what? I had the same problem, I forgot to add a washer on each side of the plastic spiral wrap, which meant that three months later the wrap worked its way into the thread on the headstock lock rod and jammed it. Had to disassemble completely and redo. I remembered to include washers this time. (The spiral wrap is there to protect the Powerpro wiring which otherwise would slowly get chewed up by the headstock lock threads).
I doubt that a new PowerPro or the Powerpro headstock (assembled) comes with these detailed instructions. If someone needs a copy of these please let me know, we can probably find some way of electronically transferring this knowledge...
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system
jdonovan
Gold Member

Post by jdonovan »

Here's a link to the shopsmith DIY Powerpro upgrade. This might explain some things..Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCLkH6T1uQE