Question on Bandsaw Boxes

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Question on Bandsaw Boxes

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

I have not yet made a bandsaw box but I'm thinking about it. Question... how much work goes into the separated pieces before gluing them back together? Is it customary to do surface sanding on them, or does this alter the fit too much?

Also -- if anyone has some photos to show off, please do so.

thanks,
Chris
markap
Gold Member

Post by markap »

I've built a couple based on patterns from a Bandsaw box book. They came out well. I drum/spindle sand the inside curves of the outer shell prior to gluing the back slab back on. Then I cut the outer curves.

I typically do not sand the back slab prior to reattaching it.

I then cut off the front and back of the drawers, cut them out and sand inside, reattach front & back and sand outer.

Sand everything with at least 220 and finish. I use the glue and flock on the inside of the drawers
SS MV 520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, belt sander, mortise unit, biscut jointer, speed reducer, tool rest upgrade, sliding cross cut table, DC3300
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

I wasn't familiar with bandsaw Boxes so I did a google search.
I found this Shopsmith article and others with some really fantastic designs.
http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/archive ... _maker.htm
One of these days I wouldn't mind making some of these for family and friends.
Thanks for the thread!:)
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

An interesting technique is to apply a 1/4" piece of contrasting stock to the face side of your block. Cut the drawers according to your pattern. With the drawers free of the block, Round over their fronts with a 1/8th round over bit IN THE ROUTER TABLE. Then, cut off the remaining pieces of the contrasting 1/4" from the case. When you cut the drawer fronts off, cut as close as you can to the applied 1/4". Cut the back as usual. You'll end up with drawer fronts that set a little proud of the case.

Alternatively,you can cut out the shape of your box and cut a slab off the back. Then, cut as above and reapply the back. Youll need to add some sort of a pull to the drawer fronts. I like the ones that can slide all the way through, though. Leaves the front nice and smooth and you just open the drawer by pushing it from the back.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
bob84
Gold Member

Bandsaw Box. Made on a Shopsmith

Post by bob84 »

Anybody noticed this site and the equipment used?

http://revver.com/video/1166841/learn-t ... ndsaw-box/
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Just got done watching the video. Thanks for sharing this information. Definitely good PR for Shopsmith!
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

bob84 wrote:Anybody noticed this site and the equipment used?

http://revver.com/video/1166841/learn-t ... ndsaw-box/
Thanks for sharing.:) I think I may try one this weekend.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Band saw boxes are a lot of fun, but about 75% of the work is sanding and finishing. Just use your imagination. There are a million ways to do them if you stop and think about it before you start. I would post some pics but I gave all mine away before I had a digital camera.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Question On Bandsaw Boxes

Post by flashbacpt »

Checkout the April 2009 issue of Popular Woodworking. They have a great little bandsaw box, with very detailed step by step instructions, that just may be what you are looking for!

Good Luck!
FlashbacPT
John:)