Woodpeckers Bevel Square

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers Bevel Square

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I am not to impressed with the big box stores , they deal in numbers ,just saying it would probably be easier to buy a T bevel .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:I am not to impressed with the big box stores , they deal in numbers ,just saying it would probably be easier to buy a T bevel .
OKAY. Wish all problems were this easy to resolve. I don't know why you dislike the Big Box and I don't know why you dislike the nut used on many of the old t-bevels but that doesn't matter.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue with your t-bevel. It is a Shopsmith knurled thumbnut (borrowed this one from my bandsaw table).
20180724_101616.jpg
20180724_101616.jpg (82.19 KiB) Viewed 24968 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wasatch
Gold Member

Post by wasatch »

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:I am not to impressed with the big box stores , they deal in numbers ,just saying it would probably be easier to buy a T bevel .
Where? At a "Big Box". :rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

From the looks of it thats a very large profile thumb nut ?
Maybe its jut the picture .

t bevels around these parts are a dime a dozen, imo I can find better tools regularly at swap meets flea markets and garage sales .

JMO
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My bevel square arrived today. It is simply a amazing tool! The heft of the blade is even more then I expected. The scale reads to 1/4 degree but there would be no problem splitting that to get 1/8 degree.

The lock is a lot like my oldest version, only better. While the design might be like the old Stanley the old Stanley doesn't hold a candle to this new version.

It is so nice I hate to think of using it and damaging it but I will because I buy tools to use them not to put them on display.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

I have one of these Stanley bevels and I love the bottom tightener. I have a couple of others, including one with a rosewood handle. But it seems like the side nut gets in the way far too often. And these are originally my grandfathers (he died in the late 1950s) so my rosewood is legal or not from a then threatened wood.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Got to agree with you on that one, I have a old one with a locking lever , it works fine , I still go for the old stanley with the bottom tightener every time .
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have about 7 or 8 of them I guess. A couple were my father's and I think one of those was my grandfather's. I put one on my Xmas want list one year back years ago. Others I picked up at yard/garage sales. Garage sales and auctions are how I end up with so many multiples of various tools. Even then I have to want something specifically before I will pay very much for anything. Just yesterday I was using a nice Stanley 16 oz. claw hammer that still has a .50 cent sticker on it from a sale. Sometimes I will pick up a tool at a sale and Diana will say something like "Why are you looking at that _________, you already have 20 of them". To which I usually respond "Yes, but I don't have THIS one". :D
I use a sliding T bevel now and then but not as often as I use to. I'm as likely to grab a miter gauge for some of those things as anything, or a speed square or an angle finder etc. If I botch up a cut I'm well equipped with hatchets. :D
My next shop purchase is going to be some new 18 volt lithium batteries. Some how I suddenly find myself with only one working battery for about 5 power tools.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill