Disassembly?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

djeung
Bronze Member

Disassembly?

Post by djeung »

I have an opportunity to get a shopsmith for a good price, but my problem is transporting it home. Does the unit break down into smaller pieces to fit in a small suv?
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Disassembly?

Post by garys »

The legs can be removed and that makes it much smaller. But, a lot of people have the ability to get things taken apart and don't know how to put them back together again. It might be easier to borrow a bit larger vehicle to move it than to disassemble it.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

djeung wrote:I have an opportunity to get a shopsmith for a good price, but my problem is transporting it home. Does the unit break down into smaller pieces to fit in a small suv?
The post in this link may be helpful.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 569#p85569
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Yeah, taking the legs off will make it shorter in height (21 1/2" to be exact). Bare in mind though, a Shopsmith Mark V or the new Mark 7 is about 6 feet long (65" without the legs to be exact). It would make a Shopsmith A LOT less top heavy without the legs attached. So, a "small suv" can't be too small.

Here is a video demonstrating how to load a Shopsmith:

Here is a video of how the Shopsmith is assembled:

Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I like this approach.
gone in 60 nick cage.jpg
gone in 60 nick cage.jpg (122.75 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I have some reservations about separating the Headrest from the Bench Tubes that I don't have about disassembling any other part of any Mark that I can think of. After struggling with this interface trying to get the accessory mount in correct alignment to the base accessory mount, I've concluded that it is likely that the mothership has a big jig that holds everything in alignment during assembly. Fortunately everything that mounts out there is pretty fault tolerant unless you are trying for that elusive 'I want my extension table properly aligned and interchangeable between Left and Right mounts.' There are at least three degrees of freedom of movement locked down by this clamp, all somewhat further impacted when you lock down the tie bar. It is possible that I just don't know the proper technique for putting this back together.

Don't get me wrong, I have taken several of these apart for one reason or another. But I struggle every time to get it back together the way I want it, like it is more hit and miss than anything. (Except the two units I use are now a Double-Tilt mod and a shop made DT. DTs have essentially no error on this and what there is cannot be aligned out.)

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sheesh thee cannot stand prosperity. :rolleyes:

Think about reassembling a Mark VII end casting on to two way tubes AND two bench tubes(with two kinky vertical clamp shafts connecting the two ) simultaneously with carriage and headstock attached to the way tubes . :D

Oh BTW the way and bench tubes are all 4 the same length.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

No disassemble number 5. :eek:

Movie reference aside go ahead and take it apart as much as you need to transport it safely. Assembly and alignment instructions are in the manual which I recommend you get one if it doesn't come with it. Help can also be found here anytime you need it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
djeung
Bronze Member

Post by djeung »

garys wrote:The legs can be removed and that makes it much smaller. But, a lot of people have the ability to get things taken apart and don't know how to put them back together again. It might be easier to borrow a bit larger vehicle to move it than to disassemble it.
I bit the bullet and purchased the Mark V 510 unit for $500. the seller was willing to deliver it to my house (about 1/2 hour away), so I offered an additional $50. To my surprise when I checked it out, it included the following items:

Band saw, jointer, belt sander, dust collection unit.

I’m thinking I got a great deal, but wanted a second opinion.

Thoughts?
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

IMO that was a great deal!