ISO true left hand saw arbor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Danriffle
Gold Member

ISO true left hand saw arbor

Post by Danriffle »

I'm setting up a 10ER in mirror image basically (tilt up) and reversing the motor direction. Is anyone machining a LH thread 5/8" saw arbor?

Thanks
www.blacklocustwoodshop.com

4 - 10E/ERs
1 - MkV
1 - Yuba Sawsmith
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: ISO true left hand saw arbor

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't know if anyone is making a reverse thread Arbor but you could use the 5/8" Molder/Dado Arbor aka Universal Arbor P/N 505506. That and it's predecessors were the original Arbors for using 5/8" arbor hole saw blades before the specific 5/8" Saw Blade Arbors came out. The keyed washer on the 505506 is supposed to help it staying tight even running in reverse. 5/8" Arbor P/N 22 031 made for the Mark 5 beginning in 1954 also has the keyed washer. The 5/8" Arbor P/N 12 031 and earlier P/N 126-1X made for the Model 10's does not have the keyed washer so I would not recommend using it in reverse.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Danriffle
Gold Member

Post by Danriffle »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:43 am I don't know if anyone is making a reverse thread Arbor but you could use the 5/8" Molder/Dado Arbor aka Universal Arbor P/N 505506. That and it's predecessors were the original Arbors for using 5/8" arbor hole saw blades before the specific 5/8" Saw Blade Arbors came out. The keyed washer on the 505506 is supposed to help it staying tight even running in reverse. 5/8" Arbor P/N 22 031 made for the Mark 5 beginning in 1954 also has the keyed washer. The 5/8" Arbor P/N 12 031 and earlier P/N 126-1X made for the Model 10's does not have the keyed washer so I would not recommend using it in reverse.
Thanks for the info! I have one of those keyed arbors. That will help my project continue forward!

4 - 10E/ERs
1 - MkV
1 - Yuba Sawsmith
Danriffle
Gold Member

Post by Danriffle »

PXL_20210302_224439619.jpg
PXL_20210302_224439619.jpg (255.27 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
Apparently I have several of these keyed arbors and questions...

Top--heavier shank, larger diameter spacer, non-matching blade backer?
Middle --smaller shank, smaller diameter spacer, has a backer plate that seems to be pressed on (or is it just stuck?)
Bottom-- trashed, but same shank as the middle one, but no backer

Guessing I have a somewhat random collection of parts. What are the differences here?

4 - 10E/ERs
1 - MkV
1 - Yuba Sawsmith
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The 5/8" Molder/Dado Arbor aka Universal Arbor P/N 505506 has had 4 versions since the arbor changed to that part number in 1964 from P/N 22 031. The difference between P/N 22 031 and 505506 besides the number change is the black protective coating was added around the time of the part number change in 1964. 505506 changes include spacer changed to larger diameter (version 2) then larger diameter base (version 3) then longer threaded shaft (version 4). For your arbors #1 appears to be version 3 or 4 depending on the length of the threaded shaft. # 2 and 3 appear to be version 1 depending on which diameter spacer #3 should have. A complete arbor set has the base with threaded shaft, a set screw, a machined spacer (small or larger diameter), 2 machined washers, a keyed washer and a nut. Only the base with the threaded shaft and the diameter of the spacer has changed for the different versions. None of your three arbors are complete as shown. As for #2 the machined washer is on with the machined recess facing the base which is why it is stuck. For use the 2 machined washers and the machined spacer are used in pairs depending on the thickness of the item mounted. For a saw blade use the spacer and a washer. For a Molder Head or a Dado blade, wobble or stack, use the 2 washers. The machined recess should always face the item mounted on the arbor. The picture below shows the 5/8" Arbors and you can see the difference between the four versions of the 505506 Arbor.

_
Arbors page 1 - labeled.jpg
Arbors page 1 - labeled.jpg (116.73 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Danriffle
Gold Member

Post by Danriffle »

Thank you, Russ, for that incredible thorough reply!
chapmanruss wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm The 5/8" Molder/Dado Arbor aka Universal Arbor P/N 505506 has had 4 versions since the arbor changed to that part number in 1964 from P/N 22 031. The difference between P/N 22 031 and 505506 besides the number change is the black protective coating was added around the time of the part number change in 1964. 505506 changes include spacer changed to larger diameter (version 2) then larger diameter base (version 3) then longer threaded shaft (version 4). For your arbors #1 appears to be version 3 or 4 depending on the length of the threaded shaft. # 2 and 3 appear to be version 1 depending on which diameter spacer #3 should have. A complete arbor set has the base with threaded shaft, a set screw, a machined spacer (small or larger diameter), 2 machined washers, a keyed washer and a nut. Only the base with the threaded shaft and the diameter of the spacer has changed for the different versions. None of your three arbors are complete as shown. As for #2 the machined washer is on with the machined recess facing the base which is why it is stuck. For use the 2 machined washers and the machined spacer are used in pairs depending on the thickness of the item mounted. For a saw blade use the spacer and a washer. For a Molder Head or a Dado blade, wobble or stack, use the 2 washers. The machined recess should always face the item mounted on the arbor. The picture below shows the 5/8" Arbors and you can see the difference between the four versions of the 505506 Arbor.

_
Arbors page 1 - labeled.jpg

4 - 10E/ERs
1 - MkV
1 - Yuba Sawsmith
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Danriffle wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:12 pm PXL_20210302_224439619.jpg

Apparently I have several of these keyed arbors and questions...

Top--heavier shank, larger diameter spacer, non-matching blade backer?
Middle --smaller shank, smaller diameter spacer, has a backer plate that seems to be pressed on (or is it just stuck?)
Bottom-- trashed, but same shank as the middle one, but no backer

Guessing I have a somewhat random collection of parts. What are the differences here?
WHY do you consider the bottom one to be trashed???

If you do not want it, I will gladly relieve thee of the responsibility of maintaining it. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

A little rust removal and you'll have three good arbors. Even if you loose the black protective coating removing the rust they will still work well and rust can be kept away. Just look at the four Arbors on the left upper row in my picture. The newest one there (right) is from the early 1960's and the oldest (left) is from as early as 1947. The washer on the top one of yours doesn't look OEM and of course you are missing machined washers and a spacer.

Option B: JPG would take good care if it. :D
Russ

Mark V 520
Danriffle
Gold Member

Post by Danriffle »

JPG wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:51 pm WHY do you consider the bottom one to be trashed???

If you do not want it, I will gladly relieve thee of the responsibility of maintaining it. :D
Besides being rusty and beat up, it looks like the PO tried to grind most of the tab off the lock washer AND hammered a piece of copper pipe into the socket.

If you would like to fix it up, I'll happily send it to you.

4 - 10E/ERs
1 - MkV
1 - Yuba Sawsmith