Christmas ornament

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nllaeder
Gold Member

Christmas ornament

Post by nllaeder »

So when throwing out our Christmas tree yesterday, I had an idea.

This was my wife and my first Christmas that we stayed home (CO) and didn't fly to her parents' house in PA or mine in MI. So, it was our first Christmas tree together.

Anyway, my idea was to cut the bottom 1' of the trunk off and save it. I'd like to turn a Christmas ornament with this wood as a gift for my wife.

I understand that this is soft wood, but I'm sure with some care and sharp tools and a bunch of sandpaper, it can come out good.

First, how long do I let the piece of wood season in my garage? Should I cut a rough blank out of it to help it season?

Second, anyone ever turn a Christmas ornament? Wanna share dimensions?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Greenie

Nick
Colorado Springs, CO
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

nllaeder wrote:So when throwing out our Christmas tree yesterday, I had an idea.

This was my wife and my first Christmas that we stayed home (CO) and didn't fly to her parents' house in PA or mine in MI. So, it was our first Christmas tree together.

Anyway, my idea was to cut the bottom 1' of the trunk off and save it. I'd like to turn a Christmas ornament with this wood as a gift for my wife.

I understand that this is soft wood, but I'm sure with some care and sharp tools and a bunch of sandpaper, it can come out good.

First, how long do I let the piece of wood season in my garage? Should I cut a rough blank out of it to help it season?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Great idea and annual tradition. Why not do it every year incorporating the year indicator into the ornament!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

interesting idea. sounds like a fun tradition.

from what I understand, you want to take the bark off as soon as possible (that is where the various insects lurk) and put a coat of paint (whatever you have left over) on the ends and over each branch stub. the paint makes it dry more uniformly and cuts down on cracking during drying.

depending on how fast the trunk tapers, you might want to keep a couple of sections of trunk and play with the smaller pieces (turning while green and then packing in sawdust to dry or alcohol drying, as examples) to see what you want to do.

in terms of shape, to me, most bottle stopper shapes would make pretty tree ornaments. you can also lighten them by hollowing (bell shapes for example) or drilling or carving decorative transverse holes.

don't forget to take pictures and show us what you make.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

nllaeder wrote:So when throwing out our Christmas tree yesterday, I had an idea.

Anyway, my idea was to cut the bottom 1' of the trunk off and save it. I'd like to turn a Christmas ornament with this wood as a gift for my wife...

I understand that this is soft wood,...First, how long do I let the piece of wood season in my garage? Should I cut a rough blank out of it to help it season?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Hi Nick! Great Idea! But, in order to have that long butt stabilize and cure in time to turn for next Christmas You are going to need some help other than sitting it in your garage. You need to be concerned with checking even more than drying.

It's my guess that your tree was plantation grown and has only about 10 growth rings at the butt and is about 4" in diameter.

One substance to stabilize wood is polyethylene glycol. That's right - - same as automotive antifreeze. Since I have not used this myself I know nothing about the correct mixture - But Rockler does! The PEG they sell is a white waxy substance (pure PEG) not the green stuff we use in cars.

Here is the Rockler site. -- make sure to read the short paragraph behind the 'More Info' tab. They even have a book Rockler's price may seem a little high, but 10 lbs of the stuff should last quite a few years.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=686&filter=stabilized%20wood
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Great idea!
Woodcraft has a couple of kits (3) that you could adapt or get an idea from. I am going to collect my tree wood right now and coat it in paste wax to slow down the checking.
Mark
jdramsey
Gold Member

Post by jdramsey »

One of my instructors told me that the rule of thumb for air drying rough sawn green lumber was a year per inch of thickness. If you're turning it, I'd turn a rough shape now. Then put it in a brown paper bag, stapled shut, and put it in a cool dry place. Then right before christmas, pull it out and finish turning it.
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Just to add to what jdramsey said, I was taught to also put a few handfuls of the shavings from the bowl in the bag as well. Not sure if that adds to the drying process or not, but that's what I have done with my green wood bowls.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
sandyj
Gold Member

Nice trick - Rice trick

Post by sandyj »

I have used a zip lock plastic bag and packed the small (5" x 4") billet in uncooked rice.
Place 1/2 rice in bag, place billet, fill rest of rice and zip it.
Dry the rice out in a microwave every month - remove from bag first.
2-3 mins on high.
Most times the billet usually dries out in 6 months or so.
Very little splitting or cracking.

Regards
Sandy in New Zealand
1960 SS500, Magna Jointer & Dado. Hailing from New Zealand
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

To minimize checking and splitting. you should saw the log in half lengthwise and then remove the pith. Also, seal the ends of the half logs with latex paint or wood glue and leave the bark on the log. Then you can set them aside in a cool, dry place for 8-10 months for something this size. Unless you remove the pith, you usually get some serious checking.

While this doesn't get you a very large chunk of wood to make an ornament, you could always joint the two pieces and then glue them together.

Art in Western Pennsylvania
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

you could also use a couple inches of the trunk to make a "bandsaw" box as a keepsake. assuming you have a bandsaw.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector