Truck Scales-HELP

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

------------------------
Gold Member

Truck Scales-HELP

Post by ------------------------ »

:confused: So I am getting ready for my road trip and realize I must stop at the DOT/hwy patrol weigh stations. In all my years I have never been through a truck scale. What do I do?? Do I stop on the scale or keep driving slowly?? What can I expect? how long will each stop add to my trip? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mark-b wrote::confused: So I am getting ready for my road trip and realize I must stop at the DOT/hwy patrol weigh stations. In all my years I have never been through a truck scale. What do I do?? Do I stop on the scale or keep driving slowly?? What can I expect? how long will each stop add to my trip? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
1) Follow the directions posted on signs.

2) Hope somebody who been there done that responds.

3) Got the proper type drivers license?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
------------------------
Gold Member

Suppose you mean more than my "motorsicle" license? I think the truck is small enough for my regular lic. , but big enough to require a stop at the scales
dusty
Platinum Member

Truck Scales

Post by dusty »

mark-b wrote::confused: So I am getting ready for my road trip and realize I must stop at the DOT/hwy patrol weigh stations. In all my years I have never been through a truck scale. What do I do?? Do I stop on the scale or keep driving slowly?? What can I expect? how long will each stop add to my trip? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Mark

What are you hauling that makes you believe you have to go over the scales. Is this a commercial haul? If Yes, then I understand but if No, then I am confused. Whatever you do, make sure you make the first check point. Don't start out by accidentally missing one and have them come after you. Don't speed but don't drive too slow on the off ramps into the check points.

I've pulled the RV through many inspection check points and across a few DOT scales. Unless you are commercial, there is very little to be concerned about. Make sure you have your insurance papers and the vehicle(s) are properly registered. If you are commercial, make sure you have your permits, trip book and vehicle inspection papers.

Remember that whatever information you get from the forum may not be for the states in which you are hauling. No two states have exactly the same set of requirements.

In my opinion, California is the hardest to satisfy and Texas or Oklahoma are the hardest to escape from if you are not compliant.

DRIVE SAFE. GIVE YOURSELF PLENTY OF TIME. AVOID BEING ON THE ROAD IN WINDY CONDITIONS unless you are very comfortable with your rig.

http://cad.chp.ca.gov/
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Call your HP and ask them.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
------------------------
Gold Member

Thanks for the answers!!
Guess me and my 9 ton truck just "wing it" from here.
See ya all in a couple days!!
Mark
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Paint a window on the sides, call it a motorhome, and don't worry be happy.:D
Sorry, this reply was uncalled for, but I couldn't help myself.:D
Enjoy the trip, I wish you the best of luck in gaining the knowledge of a commercial trucker. :)
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I can almost garantee your driver license isn't good for a 9 ton truck. In Florida if you drive a pickup like a Ford F250 or larger you need a CD license I think that is true for every state. Now will they pull you over? That is another question.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Coming in late here but...Mark.....9 ton trucks need special weight sticker on side of truck. Regular drivers license ok in CA. Roll through scales at posted 3mph making sure your not sweating profusely. Don't have shifty eyes. Don't look at the dogs. Keep rolling and wait to see or HEAR if they call you over for inspection. If not, your good. Leave the inspection station, punch it as soon as your on the highway, and repeat process at the next one.

Expect to come home with a fix it ticket for the weight sticker issue.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
sliver
Gold Member

Post by sliver »

I'm a former enforcement officer with Ontario's Transportation Ministry. Definitely call the agencies in whatever states you're planning to travel in to find the answers you're looking for. There's a LOT more involved here than just the weight of the truck. Things like log books, hour of service, daily inspection reports, load documents, and so on. In many jurisdictions, a truck that size requires the same things as a big semi so find out before you leave. A few phone calls might save you lots of time and dollars later. The fact that it's just a "hobby" load won't make much difference in most places - a truck is a truck is a truck. Good luck.
That's as close as damn is to swearin'.