Order of Upgrades

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mike907
Platinum Member

Order of Upgrades

Post by Mike907 »

I've been lurking here for years, and I would first like to thank everyone for all of the information I have learned over that time.

I recently rescued my Shopsmith from being buried in the corner of my garage, where it has been for years. I have Power Pro, Double tilt, 3" Casters, and lift assist upgrades to install. I'm thinking I should remove the headstock, flip it over and do the casters and double tilt, flip it back upright to put on the Power Pro, and then do the lift assist. Would a different order work better? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the forum.

WOW, you come out of hiding with the whole enchilada to show us. Congratulations. Can't wait for the photos.

I don't have the double tilt or the PowerPro but I believe your sequence is logical.

FWIW, I installed the caster modification without turning it upside down. I made a wooden template (using the paper template provided by Shopsmith) and then used the wooden template to drill the holes in the legs. By doing this, I could bolt the template in place on a leg and then drill the the holes, move the template and drill more holes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

dusty wrote: FWIW, I installed the caster modification without turning it upside down. I made a wooden template (using the paper template provided by Shopsmith) and then used the wooden template to drill the holes in the legs. By doing this, I could bolt the template in place on a leg and then drill the the holes, move the template and drill more holes.
Dusty, you should have posted the link to the thread with pictures that, if I recalled, you made about this ....
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Mike, welcome to this wonderful forum !
You should upgrade you profile with your location, there may be a member or two in you area.
I have not been able to upgrade my 520 yet, but I am hoping Santa will be good to me so I can at least put some new wheels on ....
Nice of you to join us and if there is not any pictures, then it did not happened .... we like pictures ...
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

camerio wrote:Dusty, you should have posted the link to the thread with pictures that, if I recalled, you made about this ....
OK.

Here it is.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Mike907 wrote:I've been lurking here for years, and I would first like to thank everyone for all of the information I have learned over that time.

I recently rescued my Shopsmith from being buried in the corner of my garage, where it has been for years. I have Power Pro, Double tilt, 3" Casters, and lift assist upgrades to install. I'm thinking I should remove the headstock, flip it over and do the casters and double tilt, flip it back upright to put on the Power Pro, and then do the lift assist. Would a different order work better? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
If you have the DIY PowerPro upgrade, you might consider removing the belt cover, motor, speed control, quill and drive sleeve before removing the headstock from the frame. Then the headstock casting will be ready for the upgrade once you remove the headstock lock. That is done with the headstock casting removed from the frame.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be calling SS in the morning since my templates for the caster upgrade are REV C, dated 03-12, and most of you seem to be using REV D.

Mike
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

Do the lift assist before the PowerPro - the new motor is very heavy!!
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.