Alternatives to biscuits?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

teamtj
Gold Member

Alternatives to biscuits?

Post by teamtj »

I'd like to make the Build-to-suit Study Desk in the March 2013 issue of WOOD ( http://www.woodstore.net/bustde.html ) but it calls for biscuits.

I don't have a biscuit joiner or the $$ to get one.

What would be a good alternative for the joints?

Thanks!
Morgan
Blue Springs, MO
SS Mark 7 PP
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Dowels
And your Shopsmith is a perfect doweling jig. Use it in the horizontal boring position and make sure the good side of the project is face down on the table and you will have an easy time doweling on your SS
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

First Choice: Modify the cut list as required to preserve original overall dimensions and build using dadoes and rabbets.

Alternate Choice: Pocket screws and glue. (This method is less sustainable.)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Dude: I have got to believe that if you can afford a Mark7 PowerPro, you can swing a ShopSmith biscuit joiner. I just checked, and they are fetching between $50 and $100 on eBay. I think that I scored my own, in like-new condition, for a bit less. IMHO, and also according to the reviews, the ShopSmith joiner is just about the most versatile one around, IF you own a ShopSmith machine to mount it on.

I have no doubt that a $875 Festool Domino standalone biscuit joiner is very nice, but can you set it up precisely in five dimensions like you can a ShopSmith?
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Man, I SO wanted to post, "buttered toast!"

But, biscuits DO taste better!:D

Seriously, I'd go with dowels, since the SS makes this
so easy.

steve
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Biscuits have the advantage of being able to adjust pieces laterally when you glue them up, whereas with dowels you need to drill your holes on each piece in the exact locations or you'll have alignment problems when you glue them up.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

skou wrote:Man, I SO wanted to post, "buttered toast!"

But, biscuits DO taste better!:D

Seriously, I'd go with dowels, since the SS makes this
so easy.

steve
I was going to suggest cornbread.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I guess it's just me. I've never used a biscuit joiner and I do so little of that type of joining that I'v never had the inclination to purchase one. Are they really that much better?

For joining edge to edge I just use dowels and for angled joints I use on of three tactics:

Mortise and tenon the strongest and prettiest joint and if you're clever these can also made into knock down joints for dis-assembly and transport.

Dado or rabett joint with glue sometimes with dowels or screws if I want to over engineer something or spice up the finish with a dowel embellishment (you can't do that with a biscuit).

Butt joint. Use glue and dowels for semi permanent, no glue and screws for temporary or knock down joints.

Just how I do it. I also rarely use pocket screws and have no desire to purchase a jig. On the rare occasion I use pocket screws, I freehand them.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

"I also rarely use pocket screws and have no desire to purchase a jig. On the rare occasion I use pocket screws, I freehand them."

Your Shopsmith is itself a pocket screw jig. Put the fence on the table, tilt the table to the necessary angle, and drill. See Figure 7-33 in the online PTWFE.

http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/drillp ... .htm#angle

Gary
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

terrydowning wrote:I guess it's just me. I've never used a biscuit joiner and I do so little of that type of joining that I'v never had the inclination to purchase one. Are they really that much better?

For joining edge to edge I just use dowels and for angled joints I use on of three tactics:

Mortise and tenon the strongest and prettiest joint and if you're clever these can also made into knock down joints for dis-assembly and transport.

Dado or rabett joint with glue sometimes with dowels or screws if I want to over engineer something or spice up the finish with a dowel embellishment (you can't do that with a biscuit).

Butt joint. Use glue and dowels for semi permanent, no glue and screws for temporary or knock down joints.

Just how I do it. I also rarely use pocket screws and have no desire to purchase a jig. On the rare occasion I use pocket screws, I freehand them.

I haven't used biscuit joiners a ton but seems they are much quicker then the joining options you mentioned and as I mentioned above, the slots are cut oversize lengthwise on each piece for the biscuit, so you have the ability to shift pieces laterally a bit as you glue them, so an easier and more efficient means to accurately join two pieces together. Certainly for making things like bookshelves and cabinets, they are far quicker means to make good, accurate joints. I have the SS biscuit joiner but haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I'm not sure how it compares to using your typical handheld unit. I've eyed the DeWalt handheld unit for a while now as it seems like it would be more versatile then one that mounts on the SS...I need to have enough consistent use for one before I can justify the new toy.

I recently bought a copy of "Best of Fine Woodworking - Power Tool Techniques" 2005 version, which was on sale for 75% at Taunton.com (I think it was $2.50 and free shipping). It has a great article on the basics of biscuit joining which is pretty helpful in assessing the pros/cons of using one.