Introduction and 510 motor question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Introduction and 510 motor question

Post by masonsailor2 »

Hello all. Thought I would give an introduction before I post a question. I have been a woodworker most of my life (now 61 yrs old) and owned a high end mill and cabinet shop for about ten years and have been a registered nurse all my adult life thanks to the USN. During the mill and cabinet years I specialized in art grade cabinet work in the Carmel/Pebble beach area. In 2006 my wife and I finally got the kids through college, sold the ranch, bought a Mason 63 sailboat and left sailing. When we left I donated my heavy machinery to the wood shop at the yacht club and sold my trusted Mark V's. We used them primarily for the abrasives applications and drill presses. Well now we are back and its time to remodel the boat and therefore a new shop was in order. Outfitting a new shop has been an experience. Part of that was purchasing a very lightly used SS 510 which included a band saw, jointer and belt sander. Everything was in great shape, in fact almost new looking but had been sitting unused for several years so general maintenance was in order. I dropped the lower cowling/motor cover and the motor lowered down with it. Is that cowling/sheet metal the only thing holding up the motor? I thought the motor was attached to the main housing.
Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

masonsailor2 wrote:Hello all. Thought I would give an introduction before I post a question. I have been a woodworker most of my life (now 61 yrs old) and owned a high end mill and cabinet shop for about ten years and have been a registered nurse all my adult life thanks to the USN. During the mill and cabinet years I specialized in art grade cabinet work in the Carmel/Pebble beach area. In 2006 my wife and I finally got the kids through college, sold the ranch, bought a Mason 63 sailboat and left sailing. When we left I donated my heavy machinery to the wood shop at the yacht club and sold my trusted Mark V's. We used them primarily for the abrasives applications and drill presses. Well now we are back and its time to remodel the boat and therefore a new shop was in order. Outfitting a new shop has been an experience. Part of that was purchasing a very lightly used SS 510 which included a band saw, jointer and belt sander. Everything was in great shape, in fact almost new looking but had been sitting unused for several years so general maintenance was in order. I dropped the lower cowling/motor cover and the motor lowered down with it. Is that cowling/sheet metal the only thing holding up the motor? I thought the motor was attached to the main housing.
Paul
The four or five screws that hold the motor cover onto the headstock is all there is. The amazing thing is that it seems that is all that is needed. My machine is a couple decades old and the screws are still doing the job.

Welcome to the forum. Please stay in touch and let us know how the remodeling on the boat is progressing.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

When you said you sold the shop and left sailing, I thought wow, must be a nice boat.

If this is a picture of a boat similar, WOW. NICE BOAT [ATTACH]23981[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Mason 63.jpg
Mason 63.jpg (42.46 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

This is what I can afford these days. I sold my 25' O'day last year.
[ATTACH]23982[/ATTACH]
The sad thing is that this 1 meter radio controlled sailboat cost me exactly what I sold my full size boat for, $3,000. This photo was taken by the original owner in San Jose, Calf. So, where are you going to set up shop. Do you have a shop available on land or are you going to squeeze that Shopsmith below deck :)
Attachments
100_0811.JPG
100_0811.JPG (67.9 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Thanks for the respose

Post by masonsailor2 »

Thanks. It just seemed so inadequate but it does work. Yes that is a photo of our sister boat. They only made a few of them. Four that we know of. I am going to try and attach a photo of 10 Forward (our boat). Well it doesn't look good for the attachment. It says my file is too big.
Paul
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Here's a how to for attaching pics and reducing the size.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=114
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Allow me to put a plug in for 'irfanview' a free download photo image manipulator.

http://www.irfanview.com/
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Back when I used Windows Ifranview was my go to app for manipulating images.

+1
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

I can't quite tell where the rudderpost is, but I'm going to give it a guess.

Nice ketch!

steve