ss planer issue

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JTD7366
Silver Member

ss planer issue

Post by JTD7366 »

I sent these cherry boards through my Shopsmith pro thickness planer. The pland left the boards with what appear to be burn marks. I sent them through at the lowest feed rate and took only a small amount of material. What did I do wrong? Dull blades? Feed rate? Is there a way to remove these marks?
Any help appreciated.
John D
JTD7366
Silver Member

Re: ss planer issue

Post by JTD7366 »

20151219_175319.jpg
20151219_175319.jpg (57.12 KiB) Viewed 8070 times
here is the picture
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There are most likely other factors. Feed rate as been suggested by others (and I don't disagrre) but the pattern of burning also indicates that there is something about the grain in these two boards that is a bit different. The burn marks would be where the wood (the grain) is most dense.

Get yours blades sharpened and set out to get educated. Take off very minimal amounts and surface at different speeds. You'll soon have it mastered.

You can't get a better setup for doing this (as a non-professional) that you have. Enjoy and the best of luck.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

From the pix it looks like the burning is taking place in an area that is likely from a crotch. A difficult task.

Sharp Sharp Sharp.

Light cuts.

Rapid feed.

That would be what I would attempt.

However sanding might be the better approach.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:There are most likely other factors. Feed rate as been suggested by others (and I don't disagrre) but the pattern of burning also indicates that there is something about the grain in these two boards that is a bit different. The burn marks would be where the wood (the grain) is most dense.

Get yours blades sharpened and set out to get educated. Take off very minimal amounts and surface at different speeds. You'll soon have it mastered.

You can't get a better setup for doing this (as a non-professional) that you have. Enjoy and the best of luck.
I totally agree Dusty. Blade sharpness and feed rate are the answer. Is there any other comparable planer in the industry that has variable feed rate?

As far as the Pro Planer yes, it is a PRO planer. It is extremely well built and will last a life time. Some say "Oh, the DeWalt lunch box planer is 13" not 12". I can't remember the last time I planed something 12" wide let alone 13". I also think I saw somewhere that there is a helical cutter head available.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I have worked with cherry allot, it has an oil in the wood that will leave that type of "burn" marks, be it ripping, routeing, ect. I have never experienced planing, but most of my cherry I have planed and run through there drum sander at my provider. The bit I have planed on my lunch box I take only off a 32nd at a time, and my blades are sharp, and not much crotch/burled where the oil is and not seen that on mine.
Now for the next tip, do to this oil in cherry when you go to finish it it can be blotchy, read up on that, or get Flexners finishing book, explains all on finishing.
It is not all about oil in the wood, but also the grain tightness, open/closed pores which will absorb more/less stain/finish.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

One thing I would do is to wax the table really well. I have had occasion where the wood would kind of stop and stutter if the table is not really slick. I also agree with the other suggestions to sharpen the planer blades and to increase the feed rate.
JTD7366
Silver Member

Post by JTD7366 »

Thank you for all the replies.
I think I will try to remedy all of the potential causes and try again.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

One late entry here. Check the moisture level of the cherry.
Paul