Headstock safety switch — need a key

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jms
Gold Member

Headstock safety switch — need a key

Post by jms »

I always remove the key from the safety power switch in my 520 because I have 4 kids under 8 years old and better safe than sorry. I keep it in one place only, goes there immediately when I remove it every time. Well every time except the last time. Lost it, can’t find it, and SS parts diagram doesn’t give a part number for it (130a in the exploded parts list for th headstock).

Does anyone know where I can buy an extra key or two without shucking out the $31 the MS wants for a whole new switch assembly or even the $7-11 you can find the whole switch assembly for online (Woodstock D4163) ????
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Headstock safety switch — need a key

Post by everettdavis »

There are some Craftsman tools and others that use a visibly similar safety switch with removable key.

Critical point is they may resemble each other in function, but not be the same piece.

A really savvy parts guy at a Sears Parts depot may know where some of their keys are if they have any in stock and let you look at them to see if you believe one matches up.

If you take the switch out and take it with you, you can likely test the key if they have one, or buy a suitable replacement safety switch from them.

Your time is worth something and I didn't recall where or even if you listed your location.

Similarly Grainger's may have some equipment that uses a safety switch and that too might be a source.

Finding someone at one of those stores who has the knowledge and inclination to try and help you can be a challenge.

The point to realize is that Shopsmith, Craftsman, and Dayton tools by Grainger did not have the safety switch created by them and took something off the shelf somewhere to fit.

Equally, there may be some power tool recalls where these safety switches were mandated that can give you some resources to consider.

One thing I know is the keys are not all the same between switch manufacturers.

Back in 2015 I wrote about this in post http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... 54#p187954 and was able to find a local repair center who had a part that worked for me.

Sadly they retired and sold their inventory to a repair center 350 miles away in Dallas.

Maybe I have given you some ideas at least. Read through that post as there are others who cite Eaton switches and other sources you may find of interest.

Worst case replace the switch with something you can find again. Here is an Eaton 20A 2HP (at 220) switch that is rated high enough to hold up well.

It is $8.55 at http://www.controllerservice.com/index. ... 1&lsi=true

Everett
Eaton 20A 2HP Safety Switch.png
Eaton 20A 2HP Safety Switch.png (263.37 KiB) Viewed 7663 times
Last edited by everettdavis on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jeremysavoy wrote:I always remove the key from the safety power switch in my 520 because I have 4 kids under 8 years old and better safe than sorry. I keep it in one place only, goes there immediately when I remove it every time. Well every time except the last time. Lost it, can’t find it, and SS parts diagram doesn’t give a part number for it (130a in the exploded parts list for th headstock).

Does anyone know where I can buy an extra key or two without shucking out the $31 the MS wants for a whole new switch assembly or even the $7-11 you can find the whole switch assembly for online (Woodstock D4163) ????

There is nothing unusual about the SS switch. It is available from other suppliers and the switch key should be also.

Again, the SS switch is not unique. Do a little research. Contact Jacob Anderson. He sells a replacement and I am sure the supplier has replacement keys.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jms
Gold Member

Post by jms »

Agree it’s not unique and have done plenty of research. Can’t find anyone who sells just the key which is why I’ve posted here. The switch in myheadstock reads “Kedu” right on the red toggle, which is a Chinese electronics manufacturer.

This Chinese switch assembly came directly from the MS when I replaced it about 6 months ago after damaging the “ears” on the original switch assembly (tabs that lock it into the headstock) when removing it from the headstock for a “spring cleaning” and tune up of the entire headstock.

Having said all of that, my wife found my key about 10 minutes ago - sometimes it just takes another pair of eyes !!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Try part number 515107. Did a search on the site and:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... tem=515107

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Thank you very much Ed!

I found the error on the web site that suggests that this may have been going on for a long time.

I will notify Shopsmith tonight.

The only place that I found that it shows up is in 34a 515107 Switch Key for the DC3300 Dust Collector Switch. Since I don't have one of the DC3300's I have no point of reference to say it is physically the same.

Either way I will reach out to Shopsmith to correct the error and add the appropriate part number for the key, and to order them from Kedu if they don't. Clearly they list 130a as a specific part and they should supply it even if they have to 3D print them.

Everett
Error in Parts Web Page Shopsmith Safety Switch.png
Error in Parts Web Page Shopsmith Safety Switch.png (277.07 KiB) Viewed 7630 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A caveat. There have been different versions of the 'key'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

That too is good to know.

I was unaware that there were different safety switch and removeable key combinations.

I his case since he bought the switch from Shopsmith only 6 months ago, they should in my opinion, offer a replacement key for what they are currently selling, or better ship an extra one with each new switch they sell.

Had Shopsmith not cut off the section of the ears with holes to insert a lock when they cast the C series headstocks years ago, we likely could still padlock the switch.

Fortunately, his wife found his key.

Everett
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Go to Grizzly.com and search for "switches" and the first page that pops up will have a suitable switch. Be advised that the shipping is more than a switch.
Bill V