I need some assistance!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

I need some assistance!

Post by dusty »

I am getting ready to hang my new wall cabinets and I don't know how much clearance I need. With all my "stuff" in storage pods I am unable to measure it my self.

Some of my Shopsmith equipment will be stored against a wall beneath the wall cabinets. To hand the cabinets I need to know how much clearance I need to accommodate the Mark V with a bandsaw mounted and my Shorty (a Mark V) with the belt sander mounted.

I have help available over the memorial day weekend but I dare not make this determination without knowing those heights.

Historically, if I did this without measurements I would locate the cabinets about two inches too low.

The wall to which the cabinets will be attached is 8' 5" and the cabinets are 30" tall. I want to locate the cabinets as low as I can so that I can reach items stored on the upper shelves and on top.

[font=]Wall height is 8'5" and not 10'4" as originally stated.[/font]
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
twistsol
Gold Member

Re: I need some assistance!

Post by twistsol »

I just measured mine and floor to the top of the bandsaw is 64 1/8" That is with the Mark V at its highest point on the standard casters
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

French Cleats are easy to relocate! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

If you mount them to get the SS underneath with the bandsaw mounted Twistsol measured it as
64 1/8 inches add to that your cabinet 30 inches. Makes the top of the cabinet at 94+ inches.
I hope you have a 8 ft reach.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I agree French cleats are the only way to go. But you will need your machine to make them. If you have 8 foot ceilings and Ed is right about the top of your cabinets, then there would be difficulty lifting over a cleat.

Hope your ceilings are 9 ft.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote: The wall to which the cabinets will be attached is 10' 4"

I took the 10' 4" as wall height from the floor...

Warning here,, (not worried about dusty doing it) I saw a guy on TV not long ago on a DIY show hang a French cleat in a garage with about 3 screws and then hang a huge monster set of shelves from it. He may have been 3 states away but some day I may hear it crashing down from my house... :eek: :rolleyes: :D Not a pretty thought.
My cleat system of 4' x 8' horizontal panels w/cleats are hung from the top edge of the sheet screwed into the house sill plate with a dozen 3" screws per sheet. The sheets hang down over the block basement wall with a layer of 1/2" foam board between the block and the hanging sheet.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Ed in Tampa wrote:If you mount them to get the SS underneath with the bandsaw mounted Twistsol measured it as
64 1/8 inches add to that your cabinet 30 inches. Makes the top of the cabinet at 94+ inches.
I hope you have a 8 ft reach.

Everything is always 3" too high to reach... :)
In my basement shop I keep a stool that is my own version of a shaker stool that I designed years ago that is about the height of the bottom step of most step ladders and has a strong handle sticking up on one end to hold onto while stepping up or down. Like the typical shaker stool it could also be used to hang it up but I never have. It is easier to just sit it aside in some little nook mostly under something out of the way. I really should find a spot to hang it because I spend an excessive amount of time trying to find where I tucked it out of sight. :rolleyes: :) With my about 8' basement ceiling it is all I need to reach anything. It is quite stable and serves me well.

My farm shop is different. Part of it has quite low ceilings under one loft area and some of it is a bit over 10'. I have accumulated a bunch of ladders and scaffolding over the years but several years ago I stumbled across a particularly nice extra sturdy steel and aluminum step ladder that has a little wider stance than most step ladders and has zero lost motion in it. I officially named it the "Farmshop Ladder" and make an extra effort to not let it wander about the farm on odd jobs. It is ideal to grab to reach a high shelf. It is only about 5 feet or a bit less but from it I can reach where I need to from about the third step.
If I need something higher I have a nice light 8' fiberglass step ladder I can get from its shed but I can't use it right now since a robin has started a nest on top of it. :) Likewise I can't use any of the Walmart plastic bags I keep hanging in a bag from a post in the farmshop. It seems to be busy being a wren's nest at the moment. :) At least I got the small drawer shut early this year that she used last year. :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I use a 4 step folding Cosco brand step stool.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am a wee bit disappointed with the hanging brackets that came with the cabinets. It is just a metal bracket that is pre-drilled for attachment to the cabinet and is then to be screwed to the wall. The holes that are to be used for attaching to the wall are centered on the bracket and are 14' on center. Real good if hanging one cabinet centered on a pair of 16" centered studs.

I'm NOT. The 5 cabinets are going on the wall fit snug end to end and not one of them will be centered on a pair of studs. Thinking seriously of hanging a 3/4" plywood backer board to attach to.
20180524_100622.jpg
20180524_100622.jpg (90.27 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
The cabinets are each 30" tall and the upper white wall is 48" (the area above the gray).

I WANT storage space above the cabinets as well as room to my Shopsmith equipment (some of it) beneath the cabinets.

Outlets and overhead lighting yet to come but is scheduled.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I used the cleat method, worked great.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless