Accessory Shelf Template

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

davem1066
Gold Member

Accessory Shelf Template

Post by davem1066 »

I was thinking about making a couple of accessory shelves for my two mark V's. Does anyone have a template available so you can duplicate the accessory shelf offered by SS?

It looks very useful to store the most used accessories and I need to get them off of my workbench!

Thanks..Dave
psf513
Gold Member

Accessory Shelf Template

Post by psf513 »

Just a slightly different approach to consider. I used an old white vinyl coated wire shelving section that was laying around the house. I cut it to size and mounted it. The nice part is that it holds eveything you need except sawdust and woodturning shavings. I find that a MAJOR bonus. I can take a picture if desired.
Pete

1990 500 w/ band saw, jointer, scroll saw, dust collector, androuter table
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You might want to wait until after the next Sawdust Session. Nick is about to release a "New Improved Accessory Shelf" -- the latest incarnation complete with FREE PLANS.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I have the older accessory shelf. I purchased it figuring I could adapt it for the 520 fence. I like the shelf except when the fence falls off of it. Man, that smarts when it hits the big toe!! I was wondering if the "new, improved version" sold by SS solves that problem.
BPR
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Hello folks,
Dusty thanks for the update. I can't wait to see what Nick and Drew have come up with. For me I just used an old closet shelf 3/8" theaded rod and four acorn nuts. You can see my setup in my avatar. I used the existing holes on the legs of the shopsmith to pass the threaded rod thru and set the shelf on top of the threaded rod. I did have to use a tie wrap in the middle to help support the heavy things I store on the shelf. That is the draw back. The saw dust clearing is the best part though.
Jim
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
davem1066
Gold Member

Post by davem1066 »

I'll wait for the new plans...that will be interesting (and cheaper!) to make.

Thanks Dusty!
pascalore
Gold Member

Post by pascalore »

If you have the shelf 555953 from the catalog, why not put a dowel pin in front of the fence. Low enough to lift the fence over yet tall enough to keep the fence on the shelf.

I just got a 510 and desperately need a place to put all of the things that don't need to be attached at the present moment. Hope this new shelf hurries up and gets here.

P.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

When I upgraded to the 520 I built a fence holder to go on the 510 Accessory Shelf. When I bought the new Accessory Shelf a year ago I put my fence holder on it because it holds the fence securely.

The fence holder on the old Accessory Shelf.
[ATTACH]2084[/ATTACH]
Attachments
520 & Convert.jpg
520 & Convert.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 17805 times
Jim in Tucson
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

A very nice and very necessary modification to your accessory shelf. I always worry about the rip fence being dropped. It looks as though you have solved that.

Your new shelf appears to be shorter. Is that an optical allusion in your photo?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
hoagie
Gold Member

Post by hoagie »

dusty wrote:You might want to wait until after the next Sawdust Session. Nick is about to release a "New Improved Accessory Shelf" -- the latest incarnation complete with FREE PLANS.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm
Well, with the Sawdust Sessions on indefinite hiatus, there will probably be no free plans of the "New Improved Accessory Shelf" coming. Bummer.:( I saw this post and had that session already on my calendar.

Think I might try the wire shelf idea. The lack of sawdust accumulation sounds like a plus.
Hoagie - B.P.O.E. - NRA Benefactor
Mark V 520, Band Saw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander, Biscuit Joiner, RingMaster
Delta Dust Collector, Jet AFS
All generalizations are dangerous. Even this one.