Outfeed/Infeed Tables

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chiroindixon
Gold Member

Outfeed/Infeed Tables

Post by chiroindixon »

One of the biggest drawbacks to a Shopsmith is the lack of infeed a/o outfeed tables. While they now sell an adapter for the use of two floating tables, I found and built a better solution.

If interested, search eBay for "Plan for Outfeed Infeed Adjustable Work Table".

A gentleman in California designed a very nice rolling table using old 500 parts, which are easy to get. He has pictures to review and the plans can be emailed to you. He has a copyright on the design so I can't show you here.

I built two of these and am very pleased. Easy to move, height and tilt adjustable, I find more and more uses all the time. They are really nice since my shop floor was never poured level.
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

I couldn't find it

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I went to ebay and cut and pasted "Plan for Outfeed Infeed Adjustable Work Table" into the home page search box and didn't find it.

What am I doing wrong?
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Probably nothing....

Post by chiroindixon »

I searched again as you did and could not find. He may have taken it off as I believe eBay has a time limit for listings. It should be reposted as I suspect he may have gotten a flood of orders since this post.

Originally it was listed with "Shopsmith" items. New rules say that any product listed as "Shopsmith" must be directly a Shopsmith product. This is not. I found it again using the generic search I listed. It popped right up.

What he did was take the old 500 carriage and table and build a roll around cart. The table will elevate, tilt and able to move to infeed, outfeed or act as an extension. Works great. They are also adjustable enough for me to use assisting on my router table or many other uses.

I love them. Well worth the effort for your shop. Wish I could show you but the word "copyright" is at the bottom of each page/picture. The plans are certainly cheap eough. I like plans.......

Good luck and good hunting. I truly believe it will appear again.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hone Depot sells some infeed outfeed table that are fantastic.
They are made by Ridgid and have a slippery plastic top. Unlike rollers that seem to direct your wood if not perfectly set up these tables don't induce any direction.

They can be adjusted for height and to make the top tilt or fixed in a flat position. They store up next to nothing and are very sturdy.

I use them as infeed and outfeed tables. But I also lock their tops in the horizontal position and use them as saw horses, work table supports and even as some place to set tools when I'm on a stool or something.

Their top is made of slippery plastic that is very tough and since having mine for over a year they show no wear. As outfeed tables the top can be set so the front edge is actually lower than the wood coming off the saw and as the wood sliddes on it top tilts to horizontal position to fully support the wood.

Some one recommended them to me and since I have gotten two you couldn't pry them off of me they are that handy. I think the cost was around $30
Ed
chiroindixon
Gold Member

But if you got'em....

Post by chiroindixon »

I never saw those offered at Home Depot. Living out in the countryside, I don't go there much.

I had upgraded an original 1954 Mark V and had the old carriage and table taking up space. I spotted those plans on eBay and grabbed a set. Wasn't a hard build and I take some small pride in either building my shop or at least dumpster diving and reusing old cabinets.

One great advantage that using the old SS table is the miter grooves line up with the newer. A miter gauge or a cutting sled can now be backed up and support larger operations safely. I had a bad incident when an unsupported sled popped up and out at me.

Not having seen the Ridgid, I can only say that this version also works well as a rolling storage unit. My small air compressor and air stapler have their home here.

This setup also allows me also to make several removable table tops to use like you do. My next is to make one that holds my lathe chisels stored on the wall, but comes off to mount on the rollaround base. My chisels etc are then right at my elbow, and stored not to roll off..

If you have upgraded from a 500...this is way to use those parts. I liked it enough to buy more parts off eBay to make a second.
bashfulbob
Gold Member

Post by bashfulbob »

Hi
For those of you that may want to build your own outfeed stands, there is an excellent article in "Wood's Magazine Best Ever Woodworking Jig's, Homade Tools and Shop Organizers" 2006. The article is titled "3 in 1 Work Support".

It has the plans for the stand and the three interchangable tops. One top is plain wood, another has small rollers and the third uses UHMW Plastic on the top. It stands for "Ultra High Molecular Weight" and is very tough and very slippery. Sounds like the same stuff Ed was talking about.
Ed in Tampa wrote:Hone Depot sells some infeed outfeed table that are fantastic.
They are made by Ridgid and have a slippery plastic top. Unlike rollers that seem to direct your wood if not perfectly set up these tables don't induce any direction.

They can be adjusted for height and to make the top tilt or fixed in a flat position. They store up next to nothing and are very sturdy.

I use them as infeed and outfeed tables. But I also lock their tops in the horizontal position and use them as saw horses, work table supports and even as some place to set tools when I'm on a stool or something.

Their top is made of slippery plastic that is very tough and since having mine for over a year they show no wear. As outfeed tables the top can be set so the front edge is actually lower than the wood coming off the saw and as the wood sliddes on it top tilts to horizontal position to fully support the wood.

Some one recommended them to me and since I have gotten two you couldn't pry them off of me they are that handy. I think the cost was around $30
Ed
Life is what happens in between Plans.:)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Check out these pictures for the slickest infeed/outfeed table design I have ever seen.
http://www.ssusers.org/files/Earl%20Mor ... %20tables/

These were posted on the Yahoo Shopsmith user group. The guy that did them even included a short video to show installing and removing them from his machine. Like I said slick!!!
Ed
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Support tables

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Yes, they are slick!!
ssj1
Bronze Member

Post by ssj1 »

I garee it looks slick but I would have a hard time to build this from just the pictures; does ayone know if he makes any plans available?
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

[quote="ssj1"]I garee it looks slick but I would have a hard time to build this from just the pictures]

I don't know if he has plans or not but if you look at the drawing he included critical measurements and from the pictures and those measurements I think you can probably build something that is real close.
Ed