Johnsons wax in the UK?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jm51
Gold Member

Johnsons wax in the UK?

Post by jm51 »

Seems this has reached unobtainium status this side of the pond.

What can I use instead?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jm51 wrote:Seems this has reached unobtainium status this side of the pond.

What can I use instead?
Old fashioned floor wax (containing carnauba wax)that has not been reformulated so as to be 'non-skid'!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Clear Trewax is another possibility.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jm51
Gold Member

Post by jm51 »

According to ebay UK, Trewax is a brand name for vacuum cleaner bags.

What I have in house is some sticks of beeswax and a tub of dubbin. A site search gave no results for dubbin, so I assume that's a no-no and am guessing that beeswax will gum stuff up for the 360 days that it isn't summer here.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

jm51 wrote:According to ebay UK, Trewax is a brand name for vacuum cleaner bags.

What I have in house is some sticks of beeswax and a tub of dubbin. A site search gave no results for dubbin, so I assume that's a no-no and am guessing that beeswax will gum stuff up for the 360 days that it isn't summer here.

The only solution I see is a trip or maybe even a move to the US. :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

I'll be in Ireland on Wednesday, so if you want a short jaunt across the Irish Sea, I'll bring you a tub.

Or maybe you could contact those people traveling from the States for "THE" wedding and have them bring you a tub.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

anmius wrote:I'll be in Ireland on Wednesday, so if you want a short jaunt across the Irish Sea, I'll bring you a tub.

Or maybe you could contact those people traveling from the States for "THE" wedding and have them bring you a tub.

Just don't put it your carry-on. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
fiatben
Platinum Member

huh?

Post by fiatben »

jm51 wrote:According to ebay UK, Trewax is a brand name for vacuum cleaner bags.

What the heck is "a tub of dubbin?" :confused:
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
jm51
Gold Member

Post by jm51 »

robinson46176 wrote:The only solution I see is a trip or maybe even a move to the US. :D

That got me thinking about the American made stuff I have.

A Zenbot, a Wolfgang spindle for the Zenbot, a pair of gorgeous loudspeakers built by Bob Brines of Little Rock, a Neurophone and various bits of tooling. Plus now of course, a Shopsmith in need of a wax job. Not forgetting my very favourite tool, a Leatherman Wave.

I might get in touch with Johnsons and suggest that they relaunch the product as 'Machine Wax'. :)

Dubbin is a blend of waxes for leather, lanolin and beeswax mainly iirc. Was essential for old fashioned footie (soccer) boots and the old leather footballs.
jm51
Gold Member

Post by jm51 »

I found this, will it do?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Briwax-Original-W ... 5ad5264cef

Briwax Original Wax Polish - 400 grams

Briwax Original is a blend of Beeswax and Carnauba waxes to give an instant natural sheen to bare wood or over Sanding Sealer. Ideal for wood carvings and turned wood, for floors and skirtings. Briwax cleans and protects wood, tiles, metalwork, marble and melamine etc. Available in clear, which maintains the natural colour of the wood, and three wood shades to stain and wax in one operation. Briwax is extensively used in the pine furniture industry. Originally formulated by Henry Flack, Briwax is a long established finishing wax traditionally used by the pine trade.
A soft fast drying wax it is ideal for quick turn around work.
Available in various shades it will stain and finish in one application, although more than one coat may be needed on bare timber to achieve a full gloss finish if desired.