Florida SS Owners

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

swampgator
Platinum Member

Florida Shopsmith Group

Post by swampgator »

I know of a couple of us in Florida. The gators don't have all of us yet. Hope all the Seminoles and Gators will be happy to post here and we can know how close everyone is. Please don't make me write down names here. LOL:)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Since I started this thread for Florida SS owners and users, I'll go first. My tool lists consists of
1984 Mrk V 500: 1985 Mrk V 500: Delta 10" shopmaster compound mitre saw, DC3300: 2 bandsaws, 1 SS jointer, 1 Craftsman 1.5 hp router, 1 Skil plunge router and a host of other hand and power tools. I live in the most western city of Pensacola and it is in Central Time Zone. For those in lower Alabama, I will be happy to help my neighbors.

Alright, Florida owners, come on. :p
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
Fla_Jim
Gold Member

Post by Fla_Jim »

I live in Seminole, in Pinellas County.
I have a 1973 MKV 500, that I bought new. A 1956 greenie converted to a minnie, 11" band saw, 6" belt sander, and 4" Jointer.
Other regular tools, 10" Jet contractors saw, Jet 6" jointer, Jet 14" band saw with 6" riser, that's set up for resawing, Jet Shaper, Rikon mini lathe, 1956 9" Dewalt MBF radial arm saw, and other various portable stuff.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I'm in Gainesville, only 12 blocks North of the U.F. Campus. I share 1/2 of the garage with my wife's quilting machine.

My '83 vintage Shopsmith has been upgraded thru the years to 520 and now also has the Power Pro. It will soon also get the "double tilt" upgrade. Other tools include the jointer, bandsaw, and scroll saw. Even though my space is limited I have a power station that's used mostly for the bandsaw.

An attached "shed" on the back of the garage has been enclosed and will be my wood storage area. I have a new supply of cherry, curly maple, and white pine to bring down from Michigan this Fall.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I'm up in Lutz just north of Tampa proper. There are a ton of Shopsmith owners in the area that I remember from the old days of the Shopsmith store down on Hillsborough Ave. They use to frequent the Woodcraft store over in Clearwater but I haven't ran into many of them lately.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi
Bill here in Leesburg Fl in a 55+ retirement community known as The Plantation at Leesburg. Equipment is a 1983 SS which has been upgraded from a 500 to a 510 to a 520 and now a Power Pro headstock.
Other equipment includes SS bandsaw, jointer, strip sander, Jet 10-22 drum sander, older Delta planer, an even older Craftsman drill press bench model that weighs 170 pounds, and a recently purchased used Delta midi lathe.
We now have a woodworking club in the community with 60 members and a recently constructed 20 X 36 foot shop.
Bill V
rcf
Gold Member

Florida Shopsmith owners

Post by rcf »

Hi, I'll toss in my two bits worth, I'm in Orlando, Fl, have a 70's shopsmith upgraded to a 520, powerpro head. Also have a woodmaster planer-sander-shaper, bandsaw, drillpress, routertable, a Legacy wood mill, and lots of time to work in my woodshop now that I've finally retired. Bob
"The road between friends is never long"
dave741us
Bronze Member

Post by dave741us »

I am in Titusville, Brevard County near the Cape. Have 2004 Mark V upgraded to 520, plus other various mchines for making sawdust.
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

I'm in Melrose a little town about 25 miles east of Gainesville.

My 510 has been upgraded to 520 and now has the Power Pro as well. I also have a number of other tools with which I can transform perfectly good wood and metal into piles shavings.

For now woodworking is confined to the laundry room or weather permitting the carport.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I am off I-4 about 20 miles east of Tampa. I have almost any Shopsmith part/item from the 1950s-1990s some where in my shop or storage shed. I can rebuild any Shopsmith equipment. I will allow the owner to take part or do the work if they desire. I have many special/unique tools and equipment to assist in this work. Let me know if anyone has a Shopsmith question, want or need.

I am looking for a used 8"-12" metal lathe if anyone knows where one can be found that is not too expensive. I check Florida's Craigs List everyday so I am aware of any lathes that are listed there.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)