Any Joint-Matic users here?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Any Joint-Matic users here?

Post by reible »

Hi,

I have one of these I picked up used and have played with it but would like to see any tips or other information anyone wants to share. I see a few other companies now offering machines like this, maybe it catching on again. I'm also interested in the history if anyone has that sort of information. Like when shopsmith got it from Strong etc etc.

The model I have is the newer type (cost reduced?) version with single screw thread height adjuster. I think I like the chain drive version better at least from the design point of view.

I'm also looking for a bevel miter gauge. Shopsmith no longer has them but they do/did have a few parts which I purchased, it is still missing the critical part 515866 (angle plate) and the not so critical 516055 (angle plate fence). If you have one that you no longer use please contact me.

I'm also interested in the extension table if some has one of those you might want to part with?? A real shopsmith one please. I know it would be easy to build but I kind of like have orginal shopsmith parts.......

Hoping to hear from someone or better yet a lot of you.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

1300 plus members and I'm the only one who owns one of these??? I think some of you are with-holding infomation. That's OK I don't mind.

Ed
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Post by tchwrtr55 »

You have my curiosity aroused. What is a Joint-O-Matic?

tchwrtr55
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is a stand alone tool that was once sold by shopsmith... I guess the simple answer is that it's a horizontal router table. The router mounts on a slide that adjusts by turning a screw thread designed to give 1/16" change in height for each turn (1/32" per half turn, 1/64" per quarter turn). You know what I'll just post some pictures of mine at:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/elv60504@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/68d7re2
Link no longer valid. 2/4/09

Some of the picture can now be found at:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... oint+matic

Hope this answers you question... if not post again and I can add some details.

Ed
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Post by tchwrtr55 »

Way cool, man.

I could have used that to cut dove tails on some pedistal table legs. Did the router come with the tool or is that "owner provided"?

Is that your "brown stone (?)" that the steps lead up to"?

tchwrtr
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The Joint-Matic was sold without a router but I think Shopsmith was selling an optional Milwaukee one at the time.

I have an extra fixed base from a Porter Cable 690 that I've been leaving on the J-M and moving the motor on and off as needed. I should mention the built in dust collection system, I have not seen this copied on the newer horizontal systems... they missed out on a good idea.

Lots of projects left to try out the operation of this system on.... box joints is one. I have an incra jig and the Oak-Park system which work very well for box joints but hey maybe I'll like it this way better??

The house is a "raised ranch" style and the brick look is only around the lower front section.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

For any of you hidden J-M people who might be interested I just completed a wooden prototype of the bevel miter gauge. I don't want to repost all the details but if you are interested it is at www.ssug.org in the Joint-Matic area. I posted pictures as well and my first ever joint done with the new jig.

Ed
edfleming
Bronze Member

Post by edfleming »

I just bought a Strong Joint-Matic with a Miter gauge, a Angle attatchment (tilts so you can route a piece on a angle such as a dove tailed miter joint) a set of 5 Freud 1/2" cutters and a 1/2" dove tail bit, for $312.00. Its in brand new condition with the original manual. I haven't even turned it on yet, trying to learn more about it. Oh, it also has a Bosch router mounted on it. I watched a MLS (or whatever the letters are) video which showed them making box joints. They used a box joint router bit and raise the bit to achieve the half joint.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Great! Glad you were able to find one and get a manual AND the bevel miter gauge those things are like hens teeth. Hope you have some fun with it!

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

tchwrtr55 wrote:You have my curiosity aroused. What is a Joint-O-Matic?

tchwrtr55
As long as its not confused with a Veg-O-Matic or a "Sledge-O-Matic". Those, I know how to use. I had never heard of a Joint-O-Matic.

BPR