Really Wierd Garage Door Problem

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Really Wierd Garage Door Problem

Post by db5 »

I have two cars with Homelink. Occasionally, the doors will not open when the button is pressed. Neither door will open and it occurs with both cars. The remotes that came with the door opener won't work either. Only the wired button works and then everything is back to normal for a few days or weeks. I can open either door with the wired button and that resets everything. Suggestions on what's going on?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Seems to me that someone here had about the same problem. I THINK he realigned the safety beam and maybe sheilded/moved the sensors to avoid the sun shining on them.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Seems to me that someone here had about the same problem. I THINK he realigned the safety beam and maybe sheilded/moved the sensors to avoid the sun shining on them.
That would be Dusty.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

db5 wrote:I have two cars with Homelink. Occasionally, the doors will not open when the button is pressed. Neither door will open and it occurs with both cars. The remotes that came with the door opener won't work either. Only the wired button works and then everything is back to normal for a few days or weeks. I can open either door with the wired button and that resets everything. Suggestions on what's going on?

I think you have an automatic rotating passcode in the opener system. I think it is reset each time you use the physical button to close the door. At that time a new code is sent to each opener and the door receiver and everything is in sync.

I suspect something is flipping the code in you door receiver so none of the remotes work until they are all reset. Could be something electrical causing a radio interference, or perhaps a power spike. Do you have a SS Pro? They send out radio interference as some guys were reporting.

A simplified illustration upon reset the door and the remotes are all set to
0001 on the next open they might all be set of 0002, next time 0003 next time 0004 and so forth. If the receiver get out of step it might be expecting 0003 but the remotes are sending 0002. When you push the physical door open button the system resets remotes and receiver to 0001 again.

My example is way simple as most codes are 8 digits and no one knows the specific reset code that is sent when the button is pushed.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I did have a problem with my garage door remotes and the solution was nothing more than alignment of the beam.

I did a lot of other things while attempting to resolve that problem but it all turned out to be just a real good lesson (for me) on garage door openers.

Good luck.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

dusty wrote:I did have a problem with my garage door remotes and the solution was nothing more than alignment of the beam.

I did a lot of other things while attempting to resolve that problem but it all turned out to be just a real good lesson (for me) on garage door openers.

Good luck.:)
If it were the alignment beam, would the wired button not work also?
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fredsheldon wrote:If it were the alignment beam, would the wired button not work also?
No. The manual control works without the beam being completed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
db5
Platinum Member

More information

Post by db5 »

One door has a rotating code opener (installed last year); the other has a fixed code. Neither door opens with Homelink or the remotes. Once one door is opened with the wired button everything works. It can't be misalignment of the sensors otherwise only one door would be affected.

Weird!
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

There is absolutely nothing you can do. Because you live at the exact mid point of a line that stretches between the center of the Bermuda Triangle and the last reported sighting of Sasquatch in western Washington, your screwed.:p
Paul B
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

moggymatt wrote:There is absolutely nothing you can do. Because you live at the exact mid point of a line that stretches between the center of the Bermuda Triangle and the last reported sighting of Sasquatch in western Washington, your screwed.:p
At least he is further from big foot than thee!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange