PowerPro upgrade on eBay this morning

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro upgrade on eBay this morning

Post by dusty »

I don't believe for a second that anyone who purchased a diy kit will have any problem with a warranty claim. Shopsmith knows who got what. I became convinced of that when I had my problem with a "not so flat" 510 table (a table that was different vintage than the one I bought with my 510). Customer Service straightened me out on that right away and then offered me a warranty solution.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

It sold today for $1326 plus shipping. A whopping $323 (19.6%) off of list price. :rolleyes:
burnt
Silver Member

Post by burnt »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:It sold today for $1326 plus shipping. A whopping $323 (19.6%) off of list price. :rolleyes:
Demo price: $1470. Lowes does a 10% military discount, but they accepted my service-connected disabled vet card for that, making it $1323. 6% tax made it $1402.38. I can't recall exact shipping, but it might've been around $160, so $1562.38 shipped. Buying at list would've been well over $1800 shipped, so the buyer may have saved around $500 off the max upgrade price. The powerpro and kreg bandsaw fence system are the only "major" iems I've bought new from SS, partially because I love Shopsmith, and hate the thought of second-hand sales forcing them to either lower quality or shut down. But it was also because used and NOS powerpros are almost impossible to find. Question is, what's a NOS DIY PowerPro upgrade's value, and how much does value does each year of warranty add? I don't honestly know.

By thr way, based on the eclectic and prolific nature of that seller's other items, I doubt the story. If there actually is a widow involved, the seller probably just got the PP for peanuts at an estate sale, and then personalized her story for resale. Maybe it's my moral nihilism talking here, but unless the product isn't as billed, such an embellished sales angle is really no less honest than 95% of the ads and marketing any of us sees on any given day, no?
Mark 7 upgrade, 510, 3 500s, mount planer, scroll saw, 3 grey jigsaws (1 w/stand), 5 jointers (1 w/stand),3 bandsaws (2 al., 1 iron), power station, pro fence router table, 3 DC3300s

DeWalt radial arm saws: '56 GWI 10" 1.5hp, '47 GP 12" 2hp, '53 GA 14" 3hp, '47 GP 12" 2hp,

Other faves: '35 Walker Turner drill press, Craftsman (Belsaw) 12" planer/molder, Grizzly G0453Z 15" helical planer, Grizzly G0490X 8" helical jointer, Oneida SMART 3hp dust collector
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

burnt wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:It sold today for $1326 plus shipping. A whopping $323 (19.6%) off of list price. :rolleyes:
Demo price: $1470. Lowes does a 10% military discount, but they accepted my service-connected disabled vet card for that, making it $1323. 6% tax made it $1402.38. I can't recall exact shipping, but it might've been around $160, so $1562.38 shipped. Buying at list would've been well over $1800 shipped, so the buyer may have saved around $500 off the max upgrade price. The powerpro and kreg bandsaw fence system are the only "major" iems I've bought new from SS, partially because I love Shopsmith, and hate the thought of second-hand sales forcing them to either lower quality or shut down. But it was also because used and NOS powerpros are almost impossible to find. Question is, what's a NOS DIY PowerPro upgrade's value, and how much does value does each year of warranty add? I don't honestly know.

By thr way, based on the eclectic and prolific nature of that seller's other items, I doubt the story. If there actually is a widow involved, the seller probably just got the PP for peanuts at an estate sale, and then personalized her story for resale. Maybe it's my moral nihilism talking here, but unless the product isn't as billed, such an embellished sales angle is really no less honest than 95% of the ads and marketing any of us sees on any given day, no?
I bought my PP full up headstock at a Lowes demo conducted by David Folkerth, John's son. I got the 10% military discount and put it on my Lowes card and got 12 months no interest. Plus I got the demo discount and it was just before Christmas before the prices went up in January. :D :D :D

The point is that there was no shipping charge since I bought it in store at Lowes. :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

burnt wrote:... Question is, what's a NOS DIY PowerPro upgrade's value, and how much does value does each year of warranty add? I don't honestly know.

I hear you burnt! And agree! Lots of questions still open.

BTW the value of my DIY PowerPro warranty has so far been over $200 with shipping, and replacement parts. :D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You all really surprise me. I see absolutely no reason why you should doubt the honesty of this ebay seller. I also question the logic of buying this diy kit for an almost new price.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:You all really surprise me. I see absolutely no reason why you should doubt the honesty of this ebay seller. I also question the logic of buying this diy kit for an almost new price.

I felt pity on a little old lady and purchased from her a very attractive antique bridge that has all these wires dangling from two very large cables hanging between two towers that I will sell to you Dusty for only what I paid for it. It is located near Brooklyn New York. :D If you like it, I have a smaller version near Cincinnati.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
burnt
Silver Member

Post by burnt »

jsburger wrote:I bought my PP full up headstock at a Lowes demo conducted by David Folkerth, John's son. I got the 10% military discount and put it on my Lowes card and got 12 months no interest. Plus I got the demo discount and it was just before Christmas before the prices went up in January. :D :D :D

The point is that there was no shipping charge since I bought it in store at Lowes. :confused:
Hmm, I think it was Andrew who conducted the one in Timonium, and he said that he doesn't have the items on the demo special sheets with him or anything. I sure would've preferred to have put that money toward a reducer, or maybe a lift-assist. I wonder if there's some rhyme, reason, or other determining factor for whether a salesman carries stock to demo sites.
Mark 7 upgrade, 510, 3 500s, mount planer, scroll saw, 3 grey jigsaws (1 w/stand), 5 jointers (1 w/stand),3 bandsaws (2 al., 1 iron), power station, pro fence router table, 3 DC3300s

DeWalt radial arm saws: '56 GWI 10" 1.5hp, '47 GP 12" 2hp, '53 GA 14" 3hp, '47 GP 12" 2hp,

Other faves: '35 Walker Turner drill press, Craftsman (Belsaw) 12" planer/molder, Grizzly G0453Z 15" helical planer, Grizzly G0490X 8" helical jointer, Oneida SMART 3hp dust collector
burnt
Silver Member

Post by burnt »

dusty wrote:You all really surprise me. I see absolutely no reason why you should doubt the honesty of this ebay seller. I also question the logic of buying this diy kit for an almost new price.
Truth be told, I'm a skeptic to a fault, so my reticence toward the seller's statement could be completely off base.

But getting back to the winning bid amount:

For the sake of value comparison, I'll use my own location for calculating costs of new vs. this eBay item, because I don't know the buyer's location. The shipping calculator for eBay PP to my zip (Maryland) would've been about $24, bringing the total to $1350. To get a new PP upgrade shipped to my zip code, without getting the demo price and/or Lowe's military discount (since these aren't options for many people), would be $1784. The $434 difference puts the eBay PP at about a 24.3% discount. Shipping and/or sales tax will vary by location, but the difference was most likely still between $400 and $500 for whoever won the bidding.

In 2012 I paid about 25% less for my 2010 model vehicle than a new one would have been. It had less than 10% of either the mileage or time left on its 36-month/36,000-mile warranty left on it, so it was obviously quite used. In other words, my used vehicle had a smaller percentage of remaining warranty, an incalculable percentage more wear and tear (since we can't divide by zero, which is how much wear and tear an unused item has), and approximately the same discount as the PP, despite being well below NADA or KBB value). That means that even though buying a late-model used vehicle is usually considered far more financially savvy than buying new, and even with around the same discount percentage, my used Honda was not only a higher-stakes gamble (considering the price difference of over 2000%), but also riskier.

It's objectively understandable why some might not consider that eBay purchase a wise decision, but it's objectively just as understandable why some might consider it worth a roll of the dice to save $434 (again, around 24.3%) on a presumably good-as-new item with some potential remaining warranty. It's quite the opportunity to consider Nash equilibrium, I suppose.