Dado not cutting properly

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Dado not cutting properly

Post by JPG »

RandyS wrote:I inherited my Mark V and all the accessories from my dad, who was a pretty squared away engineer. The arbor and dado sets are Shopsmith original, but probably 30 years old.

i'll look into getting a new dado stack, I guess.
???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Wow! this is a surprise!

Before you buy a new set, look around your all your Dad's stuff. You may find some new cutters or chippers. Maybe during the inheritance moving process the chippers (or cutters) were mistakenly put together in this set.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Some suppliers set their dados to cut that way. They claim that it provides some glue relief during assembly
Bill V
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

wa2crk wrote:Some suppliers set their dados to cut that way. They claim that it provides some glue relief during assembly
Bill V
What suppliers do that? :confused:
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I bought a new wobbly dado cutter one time ,,the bottom of the cut was crowned high in the middle , used it once and never used it again.

some folks like freud ,,, some like craftsman ,,I have had good luck with the set I have now just like this one ,, it comes with shims. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dado-Blades-w- ... SwOtVatZDy

I see now they have a different case https://www.amazon.com/MIBRO-416381-Car ... B00SZWOINU
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:I bought a new wobbly dado cutter one time ,,the bottom of the cut was crowned high in the middle , used it once and never used it again.

some folks like freud ,,, some like craftsman ,,I have had good luck with the set I have now just like this one ,, it comes with shims. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dado-Blades-w- ... SwOtVatZDy

I see now they have a different case https://www.amazon.com/MIBRO-416381-Car ... B00SZWOINU
What you describe is typical of adjustable dadoes. If you don't like yours, send it to me. I'll use it. Its' use just needs to be restricted to dadoes that don't need a flat bottom(dadoes that are not openly visible).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

As Dusty says wobble dados produce a some what of a rounded bottom. My guess is that the amount of the 'rounding' depends (maybe) on the design of the blade.

The original Magna wobble blade is around 80 teeth made by Diston back in the day when they were one of the big saw makers. I have never seen another wobble blade with that many teeth. I have two of them here. They are Very sharp like they have never been used. I have not used them yet either.

My question is, have any of you used one of the Magna blades and how did it compare to all the others out there with many less teeth?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Bill is correct. They made dado stacks that way for many years. In my fathers shop in the 50’s and 60’s that was all there was and I believe it was for glue relief. I can remember having to clean them up with a rabbet plane. It was very annoying. We could not use routers back then because they were very under powered and steel router bits made a mess of things.
Paul
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

masonsailor2 wrote:Bill is correct. They made dado stacks that way for many years. In my fathers shop in the 50’s and 60’s that was all there was and I believe it was for glue relief. I can remember having to clean them up with a rabbet plane. It was very annoying. We could not use routers back then because they were very under powered and steel router bits made a mess of things.
Paul
Thanks Paul! During the 50s and 60s I was busy in college, new marrage, new job and kids, so did not do any woodworking. However, I did see a Shopsmith demo and knew I wanted to get one eventually.
I know I, also, would remember those dadoes if I had to clean them up. Memories are great! There are some things we just don't forget
Chuck in Lancaster, CA